Chiang Mai or phuket?

Search

Chiang Mai or phuket?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiang Mai or phuket?

I posted earlier about our trip to Thailnd, now we are staying longer and things are a little different. We will be in Thailand for 10 nights now. I am thinking of staying in BKK for 6 nights and I cann't decide for the other 4. Chiang Mai or Phuket? The problem is that we love to do both and we don't have enough time to do that. Please tell me what would you do and why?
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Chiang Mai is one of my favorite places and Phuket is one of my least favorite-- others will say the opposite. Phuket is an international beach resort -- could be anywhere. In chiang mai you can see temples, hilltribes, crafts, take cooking classes, go to spas, shop, go out of the city for scenery if that intersts you, hike and, most of all, experience the wonderful culture of northern thailand.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:17 PM

How about a different option? If you've not been to see Angkor, 4 nights in Siem Reap would be the perfect amount of time. Or, for a slowed down pace, a trip to Luang Prabang would also be lovely.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Kathie -- You and I usually agree but this time we don't. With only 10 days you should spend it all in thailand. For me, travel is not about just seeing "sights" but experiencing a culture, a people --- getting to know a country. You can barely scratch the surface in 10 days but you can't even do that in less. Save Siem Reap and LP for another trip.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Phuket is an exciting destination. Very unique, and MOST certainly, not just like anywhere. If you are choosing between Chiang Mai and Phuket, then for me, Phuket wins by a mile.

However, on this occassion, I agree with Kathie. A spare 4 days......go and see Angkor. You'll never forget it!!
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM

another vote for angkor. see it.
in 4 days you will not "experience the people".
that said my #2 pick is chiang mai.

definitely worth a return trip.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I would opt for Bangkok and Phuket, although I do enjoy Chiang Mai as well. Thai beaches provide stunning rock formations that you will not see in other places. You can also ride elephants, go para-sailing, snorkeling, diving, shopping, etc besides chill out! There are some wonderful dining options in Phuket as well.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM

What is it that you enjoy? What do you want to do? That would make a big difference in recommendations.

Chiang Mai - we loved the Thai Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang (about an hour away). The Sunday Walking Street had good shopping, good food and a great atmosphere. Doi Suthep is a stunning temple complex, but the nearby Meo village is disappointing at best. The Night Market many seem to love we found to be rather average, with most goods being well ovepriced and poor quality...atmosphere was just touristy rather than Thai like the Walking Street and sellers were rather hardened-some, rather than bargain, would turn their backs if you didn't want to pay their hugely inflated price. Umbrella village and craft centers...we weren't impressed...large factory type showrooms where a few artists sit around and start to work when tourists show up, clearly guides/drivers get a fee whenever they bring someone, and buses are welcomed more than cars. The smaller shops right in town were more enjoyable with much friendlier staff and more items that were unique and not mass produced. I'm sure you might find something in the big craft centers, but they were not our style at all. Cooking class with Yui from www.alotofthai.com was very special...we had a private class with a customized menu...she was the only place out of 4 I contacted that was willing to customize for us, and it was excellent, far beyond our expectations.

Phuket may be rainier in July, but you never can count on the weather. There are areas of Phuket that are overrun with tourists and all that goes along with that, like Patong, which I find to be a place I don't want to even visit, never mind stay. But there are areas that are very quiet and peaceful, like Mai Khao beach where the Marriott is and north from there onto the mainland up to Khao Lak. If you want water sports and beach time, you would be better in Koh Samui, as the seas are typically rough this time of year and the likelihood of rain is greater in Phuket than Samui. If you wanted to do other things, like John Gray's trip which goes rain or shine, cooking class, spa, maybe a drive up to Khao Lak, look around historical Phuket town, temple visits...then the weather wouldn't matter. There is plenty to do in Phuket...it's a big place with really something for everyone.

Siem Reap...that's another fine idea. It won't ever get less touristed, so now is as good a time as any to visit. In addition to temples, there are also markets (good and goods), Tonle Sap, a bird sanctuary on the lake, small villages...plenty, plenty to fill 4 day easily.