Chiang Mai hotel question

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiang Mai hotel question

I am trying to decide on a hotel in Chiang Mai. I want to be near or in the Old City. Has anyone stayed at the Tamarind Village? Looks good although some prefer the Baan Orapin which does look great but I'm not really keen on a B&B. Actually I do prefer a hotel - but I don't want an American chain ieheraton, any opinions on the Royal Princess? Chiange Mai Plaza? Or are there other suggestions? Any help is much appreciated.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Do a search on this board for each of the hotels you are considering. There are LOTS of reviews.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:32 PM

we are booked to stay at the Yang Come Village at the end of the month... the hotel looks very nice and very "Thailandy"...it got great reviews on the site. i will be sure to post how it was!!
from my research, the Tamarind Village is not fancy.. so if you want a proper hotel stay, Tamarind and Baan Orapin wouldnt be it.

when are you going?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM

We were going to stay at Tamerind Village until we heard it is under renovation, which goes from 9-5 every day and we were concerned about the location of the Orapin. We also wanted something more luxurious, so we are booked at Yaang Come Village mid Sept. I'll let you know....
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Chucho, I reallly don't consider the Baan Orapin a B&B but rather a more intimate accomodation choice.

The grounds are beautiful, there are several separate buildings and each unit is a unit to itself, all with bathroom and some with living area and kitchen area as well.

There is a garden deck where you can have breakfast if you choose.

The BO is one of our most favorite accomodations in Thailand!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM

We stayed at the TV last November. Great location, fantastic price. Nice decor (although somewhat basic) the beds were a little hard though and the walls a bit thin. I liked it but would probably try BO next time as it sounds more comfortable and homely.
However i still feel that TV is a bargain and a nice oasis CM.

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanx for the replys. As I am a BIG planner I am doing this well in advance as we won't be going to Thailand until either May/June or Sept/Oct 2007.
I look forward to your future postings FireDragonll and Nancydarst. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:16 AM

I thought the location of BO was great - it is actually near some lovely atmospheric restaurants and lots of lovely interior shops. To get into town, you just walk over a nearby footbridge (it is right by the river) and you can then walk to town through the nightmarket or you could get a tuk tuk or songthaew.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM

I just stayed at the YCV and thought it was fantastic. Great location, beautiful property, helpful staff. Ask for a room with a pool view on the upper floor. A few rooms look less desirable that face to the outside.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Just got back from Chiang Mai, where I confirmed that TV is upgrading and expanding a bit to make some of the rooms less basic and add some small suites as well. It should all be done by the end of the year, but of course the new and improved rooms will probably cost more.

There's actually quite a number of small hotels popping up in Chiang Mai, but TV, YCV and BO are probably the best locations as well as consistent in feedback.