Chiang Mai flooding

Search

Chiang Mai flooding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiang Mai flooding

I just read on thaivisa.com that the Ping River has been flooding and that parts of the main city have been having up to a meter of water. I don't know how often this kind of flooding happens, or how long the water takes to retreat back into the banks of the Ping. Are any of our fodorites planning to visit CM anytime in the next week or so?
Carol
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Here is a photo link:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...ust2005054.jpg
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM

On Thai TV this evening, Yes a lot of water!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Wow! I have a friend who ran up against floods like this about 8 years ago. Wonder if it happens often and wonder if bangkok is bad.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 11:40 AM

We're supposed to head to Chiang Mai next wednesday, and have been busy reconsidering plans! Somehow, slogging through thigh-high water isn't my idea of a vacation!!

S
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:54 PM

the water often receeds quite quickly...you have to expect it in thailand in late august and september, unfortunately....
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:30 AM

I've just copied the following from a backpackers post on LP. It's the only first hand report I've read of the floods in Pai, perhaps my favourite northern town:

STARTS: "The floods in Pai
Hello everyone

i was in Pai and i must say its a wonderful place but i was there for the big floods i have never been so scared ( i cant swim) i cannot belive how much devastation water can cause i was stayin in a guesthouse called riverpark that is owend by a wonderful lady called anne you might know her she calls everybody darling. she put us up when she had no room, but never stoped smiling we were stuck on the riverbank up in the huts and did not think that water could rise like that and then all of a sudden we seen most of the huts crumble at that point we knew we had to jump for it the tide was so strong that not even a good swimmer would have been able to do much ,,,,,i got swept down the river so fast i did not have time to react i was so scared that i left pai the next day thats not to say i wouldnt go back i want to so that i can help with the rebuilding of the place cause as i said anne i the most wonderful person she watched all her life get swept down the river and all dhe did was to look after me and my friends and for that i will never be able to thank her enough.. so if any body is going to pai please drop by and give her a hand ...... also because of the floods we lost all of our money and passports so i think we have to go to an emabassie but there is not an irish one in thailand so we will have to go to the british one ,,,so what i want to know is is there one in chaing mai or do we have to travel back to bangkok andd if it os in bangkok can any body tell me where abouts it is thanks in advance" ENDS

I'm inclined to believe that my grasp of punctuation would, similarly, desert me, after such an experience.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM

the british embassy in bangkok takes up a huge piece of land on plenochit...i think the nearest skytrain stop might be plenochit or maybe rachadami....if you do an internet search i am sure you can find the irish location in bkk...

there probably is a british consulate in chiang mai....ask at the police station or ask any person who you hear speaking with a british accent or ask at one of the top hotels...
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:03 PM

To clarify: this was not my original post. I copied the report of someone else's experience of the Pai floods from the Lonely Planet forum. I'm sure the guy, in desperation, has located the Irish Interests desk of the Brit consulate in Chaing Mai by now. Whether he's received a sympathetic response is quite another matter.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM

my dad said it's the highest water level in 50 years. He lives in a condotel though so he is not affected that much.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:50 PM

john---now i remember that you were quoting...it was late at nite..