Reload this Page >

Chiang Mai: A Real Find !!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 10:04 PM
Tye Hartall

If you're heading to Chiang Mai and looking for a great place to stay on-the-cheap, try the Souvenir/Viking <BR>Guesthouse near the Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel at 118 Charoen Prathet Rd.( tel/fax 66-053-818-7860) between the Night Bazaar and the Mae Ping River. <BR> <BR>The guesthouse is run by Ron Moutouh and Sandra Lundsberg and they keep the cleanest guesthouse I've seen in all my travels. The prices are fantastic. A single with a fan is only 130 baht/day ($3.00)--a double is only 180 baht/day ($4.50). Air con is 300 -350 baht/day ($8.75) respectively. <BR> <BR>Ron and Sandra are extremely helpful in organizing Treks, renting motorbikes and making the visitor totally welcome in Chiang Mai. Once you stay there you are considered a friend rather than a customer. They can recommend restaurants, nightclubs and just about anything the visitor could want. The guest house is conveniently located near the Night Bazaar as well as other Chiang Mai attractions. <BR> <BR>Ron's French and Sandra's Danish and between them they turn out some of the best food in town. <BR> <BR>In fact, their food is so good that they are opening a new café on the grounds of the guesthouse that is sure to be a huge success. Don't even think of missing it. It's called Le Coffee et Cocktail Club. The food will <BR>have a full range of Mexican, French, Danish and Italian food. They'll have French coffee, expresso, exotic coffee liquors and a full range of cocktails from Gin and Tonics to Tequila Sunrises. I can't wait to get back there and try some of those dishes. <BR> <BR>This place is a real find in Chiang Mai. <BR> <BR>Highly recommended. <BR> <BR>If you go there tell them Tye from Phuket sent you……. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 02:21 AM
Kay

Tye, <BR>Thank you for the tip about the great guesthouse in Chiang Mai. We will be going to Phuket also. Where do you suggest we stay when we are there?

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 05:49 PM
Harv

Tye, <BR>We'll be sure to try the Souvenir/Viking <BR>in Chiang Mai. We'll also be in Phuket for a week around the 23 of May of 1999. Any suggestions re: places to eat and the sights to see will be appreciated. We'll be staying at the Patong Beach Hotel. How's the wheather that time of year? <BR>TIA, <BR>Harv

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 02:21 PM
nataniel

to tIA HARTAL- <BR>choose deluxe room in patong beach hotel in phuket.and ask for a high level to see all the bay. the hotel is 'little' expensive-80-90$.but if you can--do it. my wife and I use to be there every year if possible <BR>may is not the best season.try 3-4 month earlier. <BR>have a good time there.

Old Oct 28th, 1998, 02:10 AM
Fred Essenwein

I have just made reservations at Souvenir / Viking based on Tye's recommendation. Sounds like a great place. NOTE that the phone/fax has a couple of zeros that should be dropped, at least when dialing from the US. Correct number (add the 011 int'l prefix) is: 66-53-818-786. <BR>I'll report back in a few weeks with my own review. <BR>

Old Nov 1st, 1998, 08:42 PM
Bryan Blair

I have to say I just got back from a trip in the Chaing Mai, Chaing Rai area, and stayed our last night at souvenir guest houst and would suggest it as well. Great price and management. If you're lucky you may even find Dennis Peacock hanging around there--a man that has walked the length of Thailand. <BR>www.escati.com/walking_for_thailand.htm <BR> <BR>If in Chaing Rai (in my vote skip tourity Chaing Mai all together) Look for the Ben Guest house. They are just as good or better than the Souvenir. http://www.infothai.com/bengh/ <BR> <BR>Just some comments. Chaing mai is real touristy. Way more visible than Bangkok. Prices are not much better than the Weekend Market in BKK. I only saw a handful of unique items not available in BKK. I think if you are really wanting to see the northern cultures you could skip Chaing Mai all together. Mae Sai and Chaing Rai are more than accomadating. <BR> <BR>Bryan Blair <BR> <BR>