Chengdu to Wolong road

Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Chengdu to Wolong road

Does anyone know the current state of this road? I have heard that it was a very poor road and have also heard that significant improvements were underway.

So, still mired in construction or running smoothly?

Tks!

CanadaKate

Jun 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

I heard last night from a recent traveler (March/April) who reported that the road is still under construction and that the trip takes 4 to 5 hours. She added that the slow trip was worth it once they arrived in Wolong and saw the pandas.

CanadaKate
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Going up, I became ill, but I am prone to that. I took Bonine and the return trip was uneventful. This has more to do with sharp turns than the state of repairs. Even with the upchuck, the pandas were well worth it.
Aug 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I had heard that the road was supposed to be completed by July 31, 2007. Does anyone have a current update?
Aug 7th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

I travelled this road near the end of July. There is still extensive work to be done. A few sections are smooth (often only in one direction), but many are still in the early stages of work, including a number of spots where single-lane bridges are being replaced by double-lane bridges.

I'd be surprised if it's finished in less than a year.

The drive from downtown Chengdu to Wolong took over six hours, including a brief restroom stop and a stop for lunch.

The scenery is spectacular and, in my opinion, the visit to the pandas in Wolong is worth the long, rough drive.

CanadaKate
Sep 17th, 2007, 07:36 AM

The road still under construction and only be passed in certain time,5.30pm-8.00am.If you hope to there and back to Chengdu in one day,you should get up before 4.00am.

Mickal in Chengdu