Charities to help Indian children?

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charities to help Indian children?

I would like to donate some money to help Indian children. Does anyone have any suggestions. I posted this in the Cambodia subgroup and got a great response. I like the suggestions I got there.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM

I prefer to give to the hard luck cases I see on holiday. That way I can be sure 100% is going where I want it to go.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
just_do_it

i sponsor a child near kolkata through a great organization called "children international." i did some research on such organizations and felt most comfortable with their financials and relatively low administrative costs. the sponsorship is only $18/month. (it may be a bit more now.)

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM

I just returned from India and was fortunate enough to meet Yogi Sharma in Khajuraho, India. He (along with funding from a french organization) has started a school there for less fortunate children. A big part of their program is yoga class and music, along with traditional studies. They are in the process of building six indoor classrooms (the children currently do their studies outside on mats). I saw this school and the children first hand and was inspired by what they were doing. As is the case with these smaller organizations, there is not a ton of information, but you can go the Yogi Sharma's website and read some about it (www.yogisharma.it). or to www.idealist.org, the organization they work through. Donations are accepted through the french association @ [email protected]. The children in India, as in Cambodia, are so deserving and a little goes a long way.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

I would not assume contributions given locally are gooing the right spot. India is well know for a begging mafia.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM

My sister sponsored an Indian child for years. It ended up paying for a dowry.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:16 AM

ROKPA is a very good organization helping children especially in Tibet and Nepal. I know it's not India but they are doing great work where it is really needed. www.rokpa.com
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM

Giving "locally" to beggars, even street children, is frowned upon in developing countries. Often times, parents keep their children home from school in order to beg in the streets. By providing them with money, it is perpetuating a circle of begging within that family and other families, as they see the success that these beautiful young children have. Not to mention the mafia-type affiliations as veracity pointed out.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the local celebration for Diwali I picked up a flyer for an organization called Pratham "every child in school and learning well". www.prathamusa.org Looks worthwhile.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Look at the entry by Cinematic on this forum. She is going to visit a sponsored child soon.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
mdn

I volunteered for an organization called Asha for Education. www.ashanet.org
I really believe in their cause of bringing basic education to children across India (especially in small villages etc.) It was founded at various universities in the US and now there is a big effort underway with lots of people in India coordinating with people here. I know that they're an effective org that has really made inroads with respect to their goals.
A lot of it depends on which depravation you want to tackle with your donation- I'm sure you can donate to organizations that focus on eradicating poverty, lower castes/caste system, illiteracy....
Asha was just one that I found to be worthy. I'm sure there are many more. You're already aware of corruption & cheating that plagues many such places though.