Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cathay-Pacific's All-Asia Pass - advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 01:30 AM
Arthur Goulet

Has anyone had experience with Cathay-Pacific's All-Asia Pass (31 days in any/all of 16 SE Asia cities, $999 from USA)? <BR> <BR>My friend and I are in our late 50's, and we will be going in September. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, including problems you encountered, the most and least important destinations, the best routing, things you would do differently next time, airport or schedule problems, how long to stay in each place, etc.... <BR> <BR>It would be especially helpful to get advice on any problems or unexpected "surprises" that you encountered with the All-Asia Pass, & which we should know about in advance. We'll be leaving from Los Angeles. <BR> <BR>Many, many thanks! Feel free to e-mail me directly. <BR> <BR>Arthur <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 06:07 AM
Lincoln

hello, <BR> I never heard of the pass. However, September is a hectic time to travel in Asia as you have to beat college students from Asia for seats to get back to school in the US. But since you're going the other way, it will be okay....just make sure your going-home date is not near September 1st. One note: My girlfriend works for Cathay Pacific. She never heard of the All-Asia Pass(it must exist only in N.America), but I do know the airline's routing, schedule and other infor very well. I have also been to most Asian cities. I will be happy to further assist you if you have specific questions on your destination.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 06:30 AM
toom

When i saw your post, i went to CX web site about the pass. I am not the one who would be eligible to buy, but I think you can't trevel all 15 cities outside HK within a month time, because you would be so tired and spend some hours in the air. <BR>As a hub of CX is HK, so in my opinion, you should look at the route-map of the airline, so that you would not have to travel to and fro to HK many times, and i think it would be better if you travel on the ground by yourself in order to see more cities. It can be grouped in to two: East asia and SE asia. Flying to Japan from HK, then out to Teipei from other cities of Japan is the first group, while Flying to Denpasar (Bali)out from Jakarta to Sing to BKK is the other group. <BR>I think so that September is not a good month, by the end of Sept or Oct would be much better. <BR>Have a really good time.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 08:13 AM
Joann

I am planning to use the CP Air Pass in Oct. and Nov. I am adding the extra 15 day period for an extra $150. Not a whole lot of people are aware of this wonderful travel bargain because it is only available to US residents who are registered on the CP web site. I am still working on my schedule but think I will fly to HK and then back to Korea for a few days. Then I plan to go to HK and join a 19 day tour of China. Then I'm going on to Bali and probably Kuala Lumpur and Penang. I want to stop on Taiwan on my way back. I don't know how you could fail with this pass - it is just a matter of looking at the route map and doing some reading and deciding what you want to see. Have a great trip!

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 07:23 AM
Rick Brown

One correction - this pass is also available in Canada from CP. I know several folks who went last year and they felt it was of tremendous value. They had very few problems getting seats on short notice. It's kind of like an unlimited railway pass in Europe!

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:12 AM
Tas

Yes, I have had some experience with this pass. I have not flown as yet, but I have tried to book flg. sectors of interest to me. Here are my thoughts: <BR> <BR>1. The pass I am using is from Vancouver and costs 1599C$ less 150C$ if registered as cyber traveller with Cathay. <BR>2. My travel is in Sept & Oct. 99. <BR>3. The pass is only valid for V class seats which Cathay has severely restricted. eg. I tried to book an early morning flg. out of Vanc. and there are no V class seats for almost next 3 wks on a monday. Also several sectors in Asia were not available for the V seats. <BR>4. Dep. from Canada is restricted Mon-Th , for wkends dep. 100C$ extra each way PLUS lots of other restrictions. Read it on their wb site. <BR>5. If you can get over these points then the pass is of unbeatable value. <BR>6.As of going to all destinations in 30 days, its almost impossible unless you're plane hoping. Then so Cathay may offer you a job as a steward or even better, a pilot. <BR> <BR>Tas <BR>