Reload this Page >

Singapore Hotels and sights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 06:36 PM
Wendy & Jeff

Spending a weekend in Singapore in November. Any suggestions for luxury hotels and sightseeing options? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 03:08 AM
Kay

I am planning a stopover there in October and have found helpful information on www.asiatravel.com..... <BR>

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 08:35 AM
Les

We stayed at the Westin Plaza. Very nice hotel, with a very good location. It's next door to the Raffles hotel, and attached to a nice shopping center. Also close to a subway station. <BR>We took a city tour that was nice (but pre-arranged by our travel agent, so I don't know who to contact. You might try the hotel concierge). Took us to the Indian section of town, and the botanic gardens and a temple or two, then to Orchard Street (upscale shopping street, but that would be more fun to do on your own). It was good for an overview. Then go out on your own using the busses and subway. Transportation is excellent and easy. <BR>We also took a dinner cruise on a Chinese junk, It was very nice, going to some of the outlying islands and returning past the large and always busy container port. This gives an excellent idea of just how much commerce is done in Singapore. <BR>Take a walk to the Boat Quay in the evening - very active, with restaurants and other night life. Go to the Raffles Long Bar for a Singapore Sling (that's where it originated, but I'm sure the original had more alcohol and less water then ours did). Then go to the restaurant at the top of the Westin Plaza for a beautiful view of the city and a good Singapore sling. <BR>We also took a bus to Sentosa Island (sort of the amusement area for Singapore). It was pleasant enough, but not particularly interesting. <BR>I'm sure there's lots more to do, but like you, we only had a limited amount of time (3 days). Weather is hot and humid, so dress accordingly. <BR>Have fun.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 06:33 AM
Philip Ngiau

There's lots of luxuary hotels here in spore, 5 star includes Hilton, Ritz and westin stanford(tallest hotel in the world) .All are situated around town,well spore so small its all around town. <BR>Sighseeing: There's sentosa which's is a small island with many attractions(eg: underwaterworld)...there's the world famous Singapore zoo which offers the Night Safari tours(worth going)...many more,all can be checked out at the airport....

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 02:02 AM
Fiona

HI, <BR>My parents live in Singapore and I've spent quite a bit of time there myself.I f you want luxury hotels, we stayed in the Westin Stamford when we first went there, very nice, right next door to Raffles, which is another great hotel, very luxurious, but away from the main shopping street - Orchard Road. If you want to be more in the centre, there a loads of hotels along Orchard Road - Marriott is the same building as Tangs department store. <BR>As for sightseeing, there's a great bird park in Jurong, next door to the reptile park if you like that kind of thing. The night Safari is worth a visit. Arab Street and Little India (Deepavali festival starts end of Oct to middle of Nov. Little India full of lights) are worth walking around, lots of interesting temples and backstreets. Be warned that it can get very hot walking around every where, so take lots of water when you go out. Changi Prison can be visited, to see where the prisoners of war were held, museum dedicated to them. Also Botanical Gardens - Orchid Garden nice to walk around. Pay a vist to Singapore Tourist web site - www.travel.com.sg <BR> <BR>If you want any more info send me an email. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Fiona

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 08:19 AM
jw

Another vote for the Westin Stamford. It's beautiful and the views from the upper floors are spectacular.