Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can't decide!!Tongsai Bay or Sanituri for honeymoon?!??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Would really love some recommendations on both hotels. We are spending the last ten days of our honeymoon in Samui after Bangkok and Chiang Mai. We would probably get bored just sitting around and are keen to do watersports, biking etc. DOes either hotel have better access to these facilities. Could anyone recommend a specific type or category of room worth the price! Thanks a million for any help or ideas!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM

Hi. I vote for the TongSai Bay even though their beach isnt fantastic (the hotel more than makes up for it!). We stayed in their open-air villa and it was absolutely truly wonderful!

Aarti
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:05 AM
mad

funny, I have the same itinerary for my honeymoon in July. was deciding between the Laem Set Inn and Tongsai Bay. any opinions?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Let me also say that I have a similar schedule in July as well. We have the Penninsula booked for BKK, and the four seasons for chiang mai, but are still going back and forth for our samui accomodations. I just cant decide.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

What about chiang mai
Any opinions on whether we should stay there for a few days or go straight down to beach resort in Koh samui
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:19 AM

We're not big city people so we are only spending 3+ days in BKK, and we live minutes from the beach here in the states so we thought Chiang Mai would give us a nice area to do some day trips. Many people say that Chiang Mai is another city, but the Four seasons seems to be out in the country. It is a bit pricier than most, but they are also offering the fourth night for free during certain months. The four seasons also gets nothing but great reviews.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for advice. We are staying in the Penninsula in Bangkok and Tongsai Bay in Samui, lots of great reports about both. We are veering towards the Hilltribe Sanctuary Lodge in Chiang Mai for some adventure. Its a bit different from the Four Seasons I'm sure. Has anyone any opinions on the Hilltribe Sanctuary?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Hi there ang100. We have stayed at both the Tongsai Bay Cottages and the Regent in Chaing Mai. The Regent in Chaing Mai was just heaven on earth and I would not hesitate in recommending it for a honeymoon. I cant imagine getting bored there, its one of the nicest hotels I have ever been to. Plus, they offer lots of different day tours. Have a wonderful honeymoon. (P.S. food at both hotels is amazing)
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:32 AM

The Hilltribe Sanctuary near Chiang Mai is an excellent choice to get the feeling of nature/natural surrounds. For Samui if it's a honeymoon I would lean towards the Santiburi, having said that, in Thailand you can very often get a really great place for half the cost of a 'top place'.

Have we discussed weather yet? Time of year is very relevant.

Another good 'Honeymoon' idea for those who want something memorable 'away from the beach' for a few days is a 3 night cruise along the river Kwai, the boat just takes 20 people ( 10 twin cabins ) and I think it is around US$425 per person, and they take you to remote river side places, hot springs, and it includes all the trips, I would think it would be a great fun and memorable way to spend a few Honeymoon days slowly along the River Kwai. Might be worth thinking about.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Which company is that for the river kwai cruise? Is it luxury or basic?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi again,
Thanks for those tips. The Regent sounds very tempting Aine but because we're living it up in the Pen and then Tongsai bay we thought it might be good to have a more down to nature experience in the north. The boat trip sounds good too James A but my fiance isn't a boat trip lover but my fiance gets a bit nervous on boat trips. James A would the Hilltribe Sanctuary be ok for a honeymoon stay. The activities sound good there, biking, and water rafting, not sure about accomodation. Could you recommend any other lodges in the North? We are going on July 14th. Thanks for these replies, I really appreciate them.