Cambodia (Sihanoukville- Siem Reap).

Jan 14th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Cambodia (Sihanoukville- Siem Reap).

Going to Cambodia in April.After Siem Reap we intend to spend a little time in Sihanoukville. It seems to me that to travel between the two we must go via Phnom Penh. Is this correct?
When we return to Phnom Penh it will be on a Sunday. Will this cause a problem with public transport? It is important because my daughter has an evening flight out to Singapore.
We have booked Shinta Mani In Siem Reap having read interesting opinions here and looked at the web-site.We are looking at Sokha Beach in Sihanoukville and possibly Amanjaya in Phnom Penh. I've seen lots of comments about hard beds in Cambodia. Does anyone have any experience in either of these?
With thanks
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:38 AM

I thought Amanjaya was very very nice.
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

topping
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Yes to get to Sihanoukville you will have to go through Phnom Penh from Siem Reap. You can get there in a day by taking a taxi from SR (you may have to change taxis in PP). The cost should be around $45 to PP (5 hrs) and $35 from there to the beach (4+ hrs). The road is good all the way especially the stretch from PP which is considered the best in the country. You also can take the bus ($9 + $4) but I don't think you can make it in one day.

The Amanjaya is a small hotel billing itself as boutique. The rooms are nice but noway warrant the high price. It is also located on a busy corner which can be quite noisy.

The Sokha Beach is great (new in 2004)and the first 4-5 star property in Sihanoukville. Has its's own private beach (no one selling you anything), fairly good food and friendly and helpful staff, although their english could be a little better, but really no problem. Beach is nothing like the well known ones of southern Thailand but just as good as say Hua Hin or Pattaya/Jomtien.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM

QUOTE: "I thought Amanjaya was very very nice."

Excellent! I suppose the Krupps champagne and canapes by the pool each afternoon were also wonderful! Good luck to you, Mealea .... you must have, very wisely, married into money *grins*

Any Aman resort is nice if you are a multi-millionaire *lol*.

In Siem Reap the Bopha Angkor gets rave reviews, and is mid-range, with the bonus of having a pool - a "must" in Siem Reap in April.
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM

Mitch04, Why such an attitude? You should never make assumptions about anyone or anything. Especially when you're wrong.

Amanjaya in Phnom Penh is in no way connected to the super luxury "Aman chain." Why don't you check out their website for yourself? amanjaya.com I could never afford "Aman" prices and would not choose to stay in such places anyway.

Amanjaya is a small boutique hotel. I was there when it was first opening and they offered me an opening rate of around $60. I think the rate is more now though.

If you decide to stay on this board, I suggest that you don't jump to conclusions and that you do your research.
Jan 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Mealea, I tend to shoot from the lip *grins* and I stand corrected!

I have visted the Amanjaya site and agree it looks value for money (though I note the basic room is now $115 to $155 depending on the season).

However, I still think the luxury Aman chain is over rated and over priced.
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

We have also had areasonable quote for the Amanjaya which I think was £52 for a room. I like the sound of this hotel and may book it and ask for a quiet room.Thank you all