CALLING KATHIE & CRAIG RE TEA TRAILS

Feb 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

CALLING KATHIE & CRAIG RE TEA TRAILS

For our trip to SL in December, I'm trying to decide among Tate room and Baker or Alston garden suites in Castlereagh bungalow and Garnet garden suite in Summerville.
Kathy, at the Tate room was there any outdoor patio or space from which to hang out and enjoy the lake view? What degree of view from the bedroom or sitting area? What impressions did you have of Baker and Alston with private garden and veranda? Garnet in Summerville is said to have "spectacular view of reservoir from private garden". I assume reservoir is the more accurate description of the lake.
Craig, which room have you chosen and why? Thanks pals.
Feb 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Robbie, the Tate room did not have private outdoor area, but it had a view of the lake/reservoir (it really looks more like a lake. There are these kinds of old reservoirs all over SL, referred to as tanks. They were originally constructed for agricultural irrigation, and many are two thousand years old.)

The garden rooms at Castlereigh are lovely, but I didn't like them as much. I just really liked the view and the huge bath in Tate. The room at the very end... the Palmer, was nice, but I still preferred the Tate. Frankly, though, you can't go wrong. We're talking here about pretty minor differences.

At Summerville, the Garnet did have a very nice view from the garden. The Shuttleworth was really stunning - a huge master suite with lovely garden. I believe that the Garnet and the Shuttleworth sort of share a garden area. The Shuttleworth has a fireplace in the suite.

Summerville has a huge veranda overlooking the lake. I don't know how much time you'd spend in the private garden area.

The public areas of the bungalows are so lovely and pleasant (and there are so few people there) that you'll feel like the public areas are yours. We did relax and read in our room at times, but we also sat in the Gazebo and read and talked, sat in the drawing room, etc.
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Robbie, its a long story but we have the Hazel Master Suite at Norwood. Originally we had planned to stay in the Jeffrey room but then our safari was canceled so we had to make some changes (for the better we hope). I chose Norwood for its large pool and the views of the tea plantations (its up high). If you can hold off for a couple of weeks, I can give you a better assessment - we plan to visit at least one or two other bungalows during our 4 days at Tea Trails.

In the meantime look at the descriptions on teatrails.com and the many reviews on tripadvisor.com
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Craig: smart move staying at Norwood. [I've stayed at all of them] A little known fact about Tea Trails is that the food for all the bungalows is prepared at a master kitchen, transported to the individual houses and finished off there.

Guess where that master kitchen is?
Guess where their FANTASTIC master-chef is?
Guess where you'll get the BEST food of all the Tea Trails bungalows?

When you are there, ask for your own private tea-tasting ceremony. No, this is not the one with Andrew, the resident tea-expert - this is one you'll have on the lawns at Norwood with their butler -who is a tea-sommelier - and many pots of different tea.

And book their young guide. He's a star.

And a tuk-tuk ride to the base of Adam's peak [with a picnic afternoon tea] is a great thing to do. You don't need a guide.
Feb 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM

it all sounds so fantastic....
Feb 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

great info, thank you all. I'll let you know the outcome of this delicious lottery.
Feb 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Oh, BTW, what's the buzz about the Jetwing resort in Sigiriya, Vil Uyana.??? I read some laudatory reports on Trip Advisor but no high end SR tour operators seen to be promoting it.
Feb 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Robbie, let me look at my notes. There was somewhere in that area where we stopped for lunch - and left.
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Ok, I looked at it on the web. It was not the place we stopped at and left. We did drive by it, and I remember thinking so much of it looked like a sea of mud. (Our driver sort of turned up his nose at the place.) I'd ask BSL for their candid opinion. From the looks of it, I would expect it to have lots of insects.
Feb 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Yea, more good thoughts from dogster, Bob and Kathie. I will follow thru. Gracias