Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Calling All Pai Experts: Guest House Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are so many options for Guest Houses in Pai that it is making my head spin! I have done a lot of research, including using the search function here. I am a single female traveller, 41 yrs old and I will spend several nights in Pai in November. I am a light sleeper but generally wake up at the crack of dawn.

Ideally, I would like a guest house that is quiet at night with a comfortable bed, nice view from either a small deck outside my bungalow or from the common area and within a 10 minute walk from the center of town. I would also prefer a western toilet.

I enjoy having a couple of cold ones while conversing with others but I am not into the late night party scene. Looks like there are hundreds of options for inexpensive guest houses.

Considering the above info, I would appreciate suggestions and comments on the places I have listed below. I don't mind wandering through town checking out a few places but I don't want to spend hours doing so.

Here is a list of possibilities:

Pravee's
Mae Yen House
Baan Pai Charm House
Jaymee's
Baan Pai Village
Pai in the Sky
Sun Hut
Fruit Garden
Breeze of Pai
Eden
Ever Green
Palm House
Rainbow House
Wonderland House

I am not going to book ahead and I realize that some of these places will be full when I arrive. With the help of those of you that know Pai I would like to narrow my choices down to 3-4 places.

Cheers and thanks!

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:32 AM

Depends how budget you want, Fern resort goes from about USD 30 with breakfast, about 7 km from town, others also on this board have stayed, long time since we went, very rural, good service, they transport to and from town several times a day, also used to be free airport pick up, I think this might be right what you are after, some of the review quotes as I was interested to see if it's still the same:

" serene ambience "
" Jungle living for softies "
" a blessed place outside the time and space we re used to"

They take you treking, mornings are the 'best'.
http://www.res24.com/review/posts.ht...otels.itgo.com

Photos
http://www.r24.org/chiang-mai-hotels.../fern/details/

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:36 AM

Just to add ferm is an eco-tourism style place, kept natural, morning mists superb, also has a small pool, I think you could find guest houses cheaper but for 'experience' I think it comes as close as possible to hwat I am guessing you are looking for.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM

see coripe's saty at fern under

"the end of out-of-date trip report"

I just topped it for you.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:54 AM

When last in Pai I stayed at Belle Villa which certainly ticks allof the boxws you mentioned. it is quiet as it is on the outskirts of town (10 mins to the centre) and has very comfortable bungalows with decks overlooking paddies & western style bathrooms see - http://www.bellevillaresort.com/pai/.

As far as the previous poster's comment re Fern resort, this too is a very nice resort but I think you will find that it is in Mae Hong Son rather than Pai. Sorry but I don't know any of the others that you list