buying pearls in Japan?

Apr 29th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Mac

buying pearls in Japan?

Hi all. I'm travelling to Japan in a month and would like to bring my wife home something nice. Was thinking about pearls and I know they produce nice stuff in Japan. I don't have a ton of money to spend so I was wondering if anyone knows about the quality/ pricing of necklaces or earing jewelry in Japan around Tokyo or Osaka. Thanks in advance!

Apr 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Florence

Bonjour Mac,

The obvious places for buying pearls in Both cities are Mikimoto shops, you'll find them in the main shopping districts and at the airport, but it's an expensive place by definition. You might want to visit Tasaki Pearl Gallery, a Kobe-based company engaged in the cultivation, processing, and sale of pearls. They have 3 shops in Tokyo. Phone: 03-5561-8880

Department stores usually have good jewelry departments, but are expensive too.

The wholesale district for jewelry in Tokyo is located just behind Okachimachi station on the Yamanote loopline. Ask your hotel concierge or the TIC for the name of a reputable dealer in this area.

I'm sorry I can't help you with prices, I didn't do more than give them a casual glance and realised my budget didn't allow more