Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

URGENT! Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Samui

Apr 26th, 2002, 04:59 AM
josee jo

hi, myself and my boyfriend are flying into bangkok next saturday (27 april) - so would appreciate a speedy response! itinerary goes...
3nights bangkok
6nights chiang mai
5nights phuket
7nights ko samui

i'd like advice on
i) how hot/wet it's going to be (kind of know it's going to be hot and wet but tying trip in with fella's redundancy so have to go now!). any advice on weather in may in each location
ii) currency to take. i'm a brit and i'm not sure how muct baht to take out and how much in travellers cheques (we're thinking of taking sterling not us$ cos the exchange rate is so bad)
iii) any must dos in each location
iv) any must nots in each location!!
v) hotel recommendations (inexpensive but clean, say £30 per night for two people)
vi) is it easy to get from phuket to ko samui by bus
vi) er, anything else you fancy letting us know about!!

thanks - have been totally glued to the this posting while researching our break so thanks for everyone's help already!

Apr 26th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Tangata

How sensible to give Chiangmai six nights and Bangkok only 3!

Let me answer what I can of your queries if you still out there – it is already the 27th here.

You can expect temperatures in the high thirties, maybe slipping into the forties on occasions. Here in the north we really haven’t had any rain yet and I don’t believe that they have had very much in the south. It should rain soon but it won’t spoil your holiday.

Sterling is fine you can change it anywhere, but ATMs seem to be the best way to get money. Traveller’s Cheques are really a thing of the past and not always easy to cash if the banks are closed. There is definitely no point in changing from sterling to US$ to Baht, you will just pay for an extra transaction.

£30 per night for accommodation is ample I would think. Phuket is likely to be the dearest place for accommodation. Unless you really want to go up market you should be able to get something in most places for £20 – 25.

You will probably need to take a bus from Phuket to Surat Thani and then another bus plus a ferry to Ko Samui.

Email me if you have anything else, particularly in Chiangmai.

Apr 27th, 2002, 06:36 AM
josee jo

tangata, just a quick thanks for your reply! really useful stuff. i'm obviously already in holiday mood - we're actually flying out next friday the 3rd may - duh! (the 27th was our original plan.) yeah, anything on chiang mai would be useful too. i'm interested in seeing bangkok and sure i'll love it but i'm kind of expecting it to be like Vegas (and that got pretty tiring).
presumably if the temperatures are that hot then high factor sun lotion is advisable. sounds totally thick but i've got the impression from the weather posts i've looked at that it's cloudy all the time...
anyway, thanks again, and any more nuggets of info would be much appreciated.

Apr 27th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Sarah Rey

Don't buy any Thai Baht in the UK, you will get a loussy rate, you will get about 61 baht for 1 UK pound if you change in Thailand.
If your bank card has a Visa sign on it you will be fine, if in doubt check with your bank, using the ATMs will debit your current account so make sure there are sufficient funds.
Both bring cards, keep 1 in hotel safe and the other with you just in case 1 is lost. 30 pouns is B 1,800 which will get you a well nice hotel in all places.
Try thisBR>
http://www.sawadee.com

Click on destination for local info and then click on 'Accommodation' for hotels. I am not saying these guys have the best rates but what I like about this site is that it shows you the rates in Thai Baht and also you can click on the 'Union Jack' symbol and get the rates for ALL the hotels in UK pouns instantly.

You can also try-
http://www.asiatravel.com

Even if you are NOT flying with Thai Airways you can buy promotional domestic sectors but on your routing I guess BKK-Chiang Mai-Phuket is all you will need ( Thai Airways do not fly to Koh Samui ).
After Phuket you can bus/ferry to Koh Samui or take a 50 minute flight with Bangkok Airways ( http://www.bangkokair.com ).
You can then fly back to Bangkok but as you are not flying peak season you will be able to chop and change as you enjoy your trip.
From Koh Samui you can take a 'Jet-Cat' high speed Catermaran to Kao Tao island, then to the mainland at Chumpon. From there you can train back to Bangkok or beach-hop your way north.

Do buy yourself a good map of Thailand so you can enjoy planning, it really is half the fun. Be flexible.

Sarah (Bangkok)

Apr 28th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Tangata

I don’t think you will find Bangkok like Vegas! My must sees there would be the Palace, the Marble Wat, the Weekend Market (if you’re there at the weekend) and a cruise on the river. If you have more time then the Vimanmek mansion or Jim Thompson’s place are worth a visit.

It will be hot and you’ll soon notice that only “mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun”! However the English seemed to be joined by most other brands of Farangs. Keep covered up and use some sun lotion by all means, but you would probably be at greater risk in Australia and New Zealand.

In Chiangmai itself there are dozens of Wats, Wat Phra Singh is the oldest and probably the most interesting in the city. Have a look at http://www.asia-hotels.com/cityguide...chiang_mai.asp and also http://www.chiangmai-online.com/gmcm...0/news-cm.html and http://www.asiatradingonline.com/thepub.htm

Chiangmai is also a good place to visit the countryside; you can get a self drive car for about 800 Baht a day or a car and driver for about 1200. If you decide to rent a motorcycle make sure that your hospital insurance is paid up!

If you visit The Pub I’ll probably be one of the old fat guys holding up the bar.

Have fun.

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:39 PM
jen

Josee,

I just got back from Thailand a month or so ago and these were the exact 4 cities that we visited, although we saved Bangkok for the end of our trip.

In Chiang Mai, I would definitely recommend a hill-tribe trek. We stayed at the Chiang Mai Garden Guest House. Very nice and helpful... they arranged our trek too. I think we paid 350 baht per night at the Guest House (incl. aircon... 150 without) and the 3 day/2 night trek was around 1600 baht I think. Transport, lodging, food, elephant riding, and river rafting were all included. Lots of fun and we met a great group of people!

Phuket was a bit too touristy for our liking. We splurged on a day trip to Ko Phi Phi (about 2000 baht). Very touristy, but beautiful limestone islands, snorkeling and a yummy lunch were our reward. It included a trip to Maya Bay (where the US movie The Beach was filmed). Accomodation will be more expensive here than other cities.

Ko Samui... we stayed at Charlie's Huts and loved it! Very cheap, little huts right on the beach. We paid about 300 baht a night including a toilet, 200 b without. Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but this place is dirt cheap and has a great international, young community atmosphere. There is another island nearby, Ko Tao, that is supposed to be even cheaper and less visited.

In Bangkok, of course we stayed on the Khao San Road. Our guest house was cheap, but the room was a sauna so I might recommend paying a little more for air-con. Bangkok was really hot, so we found that we didn't want to do much sight-seeing. There is a market that is only open on Saturdays that is supposed to be amazing... but of course we weren't there on a Saturday. The Grand Palace was nice.

Anyways, have much fun!

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:12 AM
josee jo

just wanted to say a big thanks to you guys for getting back to me, jen your stuff sounds very useful indeed - i'm hoping to make it to the market in BK. sarah, i've taken loads of print outs from the sawadee site, and tangata - it's definitely my round!!
just the flight to absolutely wet my pants over now...

thanks again guys, and happy travelling to you too!