Bus tour of Kyoto

Search

Bus tour of Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus tour of Kyoto

We are going to be in Kyoto July 3-14. We have contacted the Goodwill Guides for morning tours the first week we arrive. However, I like taking a bus tour to get the lay of the city when I arrive in a new place. Does anyone have any suggestions other than JTB Sunrise?

We also will be taking day trips to other cities (not for bus tours though) like Tokyo, Nara, Hiroshima, etc.

Thanks, Tricia
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Wow 11 days in Kyoto alone? That is a bit much. The main sights of Kyoto can be covered in 4 days leisurely with public transport. I reckon you can save more and see more on your own than on a tour, especially a sunrise tour. They cost too much.

In Kyoto you can get a oneday pass (600yen) or two day pass(2000yen) which will cover you for unlimited bus and subway use. Buses in Kyoto are 220yen per trip flate rate. If you want to see the city, just hop onto one of the 3 tourist buses that circle the city area, these buses are pink. Don't worry about getting lost as they loop the city and so eventually you get back to where you started. The bus maps are very easy to use and are very frequent so you can do kyoto cheap and at your pace. But July is going to be HOT! And hiting peak time as some schools would be on holidays already.

When you hit Hiroshima, be sure to save a full day for Miyajima Island, its one of my favourite places. Also the ogonomiyaki in Hiroshima are huge! but not as nice as the Osaka ones I think.

I currently live and work in Japan and have travelled from the Northern island of Hokkaido to the south, Okinawa and inbetween. If you need any other help re japan, I*m happy to help you. Japan can be CHEAP and heaps of fun.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:45 PM
mjs

I pretty much agree with oiloc although I cannot think of anything in Japan that I would regard as cheap.
I also would not recommend a day trip from Kyoto to Tokyo. Tokyo is a huge city and would take several days not several hours to tour it.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Japan Rail (JR West) has a couple of regional rail passes that you should look into. The passes would be useful for day trips from Kyoto (not to Tokyo, though). Day-tripping to Tokyo would involve a 3-hour shinkansen ride each way.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:11 PM

If you want to visit Tokyo, you may consider spending 3-4 days in Tokyo (not day trip), and spend the rest in Kyoto & around (include day trip to Nara, Heimji, Osaka).
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
MMSF

I agree with everyone. Tokyo is not a day trip, but it doesn't take 3-4 days to do as it's just a HUGE city, unless you are planing to take side trips or go to Tokyo Disney(why any American would want to go all the way there for it beats me).

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:25 PM

Once you get the layout of the city you may want to consider Johnny Hill Walkers tour. It was 5 hours for 2000yen. It is very informal, highly informative. It was fine walking yesterday even though it was hot, sunny, and humid. But, it may be too hot and humid in July, depending on what you are used to, and how much you want to walk. if you might be interested I could tell you more.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:32 PM

I would also be interested in the JOhnny Hill Walkers tour. Do you have more info such as how to schedule etc?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:27 AM

I spent 12 days in Kyoto last October and barely scratched the surface. There is MORE than enough to do and see in the city and there are fabulous day trips as well -- Nara, Himeji, Miho Mueseum, Uji. Don't even think about going to Tokyo. You're doing Kyoto the right way -- really spending some time getting to know it.

I don't think there is any reason to take a bus trip. I don't even think it will help. Just get a good map and go section by section. Walk and take the subway. You'll have a fabulous time.