Bullet train question

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Felicia

Bullet train question

I have been on trains in Europe. Now I will be in Japan for the first time and want to take a trip that includes the Bullet Train. Is it that much different than the ones in Europe? Obviously it's faster, but once it's going, can you really tell it's that much faster? Thanks.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:38 AM
Florence

Bonjour Felicia,

The Shinkansen is definitely different than the TGV or other fast European trains. For a start, it is always on time, at the second. On some sections of the Tokaido Shinkansen (between Shizuoka and Nagoya, or Nagoya and Kyoto), the ride feels so fast and bumpy that you can hardly stand. I haven't been on the newest Nozomi trains though, so maybe this one rides smoother.

Another difference is the myriad snacks, drinks, and souvenirs you can buy without leaving your seat.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:51 AM
Tangata

Compared to the European systems the Shinkansen is a rather old system and in absolute terms it is not as fast as the best of the Europeans. Like the TGV it runs on dedicated track, in fact the rest of Japan operates on a different gauge. Therefore it is faster than is the ICE on some sectors as the ICE operates over track shared with other services.

It is not always on time; the last time I was on it we had a three hour delay due to snow. It also stops quite often because of earthquakes. However, in general it is on time. But then in my experience so is the TGV and the ICE.

I have driven the TGV and the ICE and AVE, the Spanish high-speed train, also, but alas not the Shinkansen, the Japanese don’t seem to like Gai-jins driving their trains.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:53 PM
Felicia

Is the Shinkansen the same name as the Bullet Train? Other than the speed, it seems there's really not much difference. I was hoping for quite a different experience; however, I do love to ride on trains and the tour I'm leaning toward does offer it. Thanks.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:52 PM
lcuy

Felicia- Shinkansen is the Japanese name for what we call the bullet train.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:34 PM
jen

Here's a difference: in the Shinkansen (and other) stations you can buy a lunch box (obento or bento) which is the most beautiful take-away public transportation food you can possibly imagine!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:12 PM
Felicia

Thanks to everyone who helped me w/ this!
Felicia