Bug spray in Thailand

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bug spray in Thailand

All of my travel books suggest taking along "flying insect spray" and a mosquito repellant containing DEET. Is it possible to buy these products in Thailand once we land, or do I need to pack them in my checked luggage (now with the new regulations, there will be little carry on luggage allowed).

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM

We've always brought insect repellant in our checked luggage. We've been in SE Asia in both July and February and never really needed it but you never know. We feel its better to have it along for the peace of mind.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM

I took DEET mosquito repellant with me in July/August, but it only worked reasonably well. At my cooking class in Chiang Mai, the instructor sprayed me (pump spray, not aerosol) with a mosquito repellant containing lemongrass and it seemed to work very well. I ended up buying a couple more bottles that I found at the night market.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM

We use a spray based on lemon grass and it works very well. You can spray it on your skin or on your clothes.

It is readily available in any of the super stores or most chemists.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Make your own insect repellant. Buy lemon grass from any Asian grocery shop, mince the stalk with food processor and sautee the bits in extra virgin olive oil until they turn brown. Your kitchen will smell of lemongrass for a while. Use more lemongrass for better potency. Sieve the bits off from the oil and pour the oil into a small bottle. Apply the oil on your skin before going into mosquito infested areas. It nourishes your skin too. I use this natural homemade repellant on my kids. Actually, there are two kinds of lemon grass - the common cooking lemongrass (we call "serai makan") and citronella lemongrass ("serai wangi"). Citronella is the best but i doubt it is sold in Asian grocery shops. I have some citronella growing in my back yard - it keeps the mosquitoes away from my home.

Try it.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM

bug sprays are available at the larger shops and at some 7/11 type places...some hotels supply them ---look in your closet...

i would take my deet type from home however...

we have never found it to be a problem and we have been there in oct, nov, dec, jan, may and june...

we are very careful not to leave lites on inside our room near windows and doors and open and shut doors quickly at nite time...