Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Feedback to RHMMK re Maha Naga restaurant Bangkok

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, you asked some time ago for a report on this restaurant. First of all for those on here who mentioned it (I think Gloria and others?). We had a nice evening there . Very stylish looking place with indoor and garden tables. The decor is tasteful and the tables are set attractively. The food is presented with style and the service professional ( a little pushy but not overly so ).The food is described as fusion but I would say , although the food is Thai the style is way on the farang side. I found the food very nice but my Thai companion ,whilst acknowledging that was so, had to quickly call for the prik nam pla . However for us farangs I would recommend the place and I say you should put it on your list Bob. The wine prices are pretty steep and you may need to stick to beer!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM

thanks very much....can you tell us what you ate and about how much the cost was so as to give a full report....

it is on my list....kathie has been there before and really liked it...

is it directly on the corner of soi 29 and sukhumvit??

thanks for remembering to do this

bob
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, Peter. Apparently, the menu has a lot of variation. The dishes we had were Thai (with a little fusion), while others have described it as fusion. Also, we ordered our dishes spicy, which makes a difference, no doubt.

I find the wine prices in general at restaurants in Thailand to be outrageous, so I pass on the wine.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM

rhkkmk:

You probably already have this site but it shows menu for both maha naga restaurants.

http://www.mahanaga.com/

no prices though

Aloha!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Looks like a great atmosphere and tasty menu - will add it to my list for February. I look forward to reviews from everyone that visits between now and then.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM

thank you i had seen that....i looked at it last year for my june trip but decided i would pass on it....now i guess i will have to try it...
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Regarding wine prices, the excise ("luxury") tax on wine in Thailand is now at 400% - the highest in the world. All the hotels and restaurants are complaining about it, but there seems to be no mood to change it.

Believe it or not, there's also an excise tax on carbonated soft drinks (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) even though they're also price controled as an "essential item."

Welcome to Thailand!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Bob, you turn slightly into Soi 29 from Sukhumwit and you will see the entrance to the restaurant. There is a sign pointing to it also on the Sukhumwit corner. The directions say to approach it from Phrom Pong station...we walked a little way from Sukhumwit station so I guess it is about half way between both stations. We went on our last night and by that time we had been frightened off chicken and duck because of the bird flu scare so we had an all seafood meal.We had 3 appetisers and 3 mains and one sweet as well as two cocktails,two Heinekens and one coffee.Our meals were: tod mun kai kiem (fish cakes with salty egg), poo cha (crab meat in the shell).and pla muk ( squid salad)followed by snow fish, scallops with vegetables and green curry prawns. Finished off with one lime icecream and one coffee.We probably overordered for two people, especially as each main course included its own mound of rice instead of a general rice bowl in the middle. The whole thing cost 4,378.44 bht which is about $120 for us Aussies and I guess that translates to roughly $90 US ? I thought that was pretty reasonable for a restaurant of that calibre. Hope that gives you some idea of what to expect. Cheers!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM

thanks....just what i was looking for....you made a couple of mistakes however....always order three desserts and two mains....its the american way...hahaha