Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Breakfast-Royal Meredien Phuket Yacht Club

Apr 9th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I just got a quoted breakfast price of $27 at the Royal Meredien Phuket Yacht Club. This seems high even for Phuket. Can anyone provide guidance? Thanks. I fully understand that this is a ridiculously minute matter, even for me.
Apr 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM
sandi

It sure is expensive!!

Apr 9th, 2004, 05:09 PM

$27 is B 1,066.50 at current exchange rate! This is ridiculous, now if you add that to the price of your room it shoots up the price over and above places that include breakfast.
The Marriott charges B500+17%=$14.30 which is also way way over the top.

You need to watch these 'add ons' because you might not be getting the deal you think you are getting!

The average breakfast charge(howver 90%+ always include breakfast) varies in a 3 star from say 120-180, i.e about $3 to $4.50

Please don't tell me that $27 is per person because then that without question is a mistake!!

If it is going to cost you $27 on top of your room rate that is really xcvndmbxn.
Apr 9th, 2004, 06:43 PM

maybe the $27 is for the 5 of you???
haha
some of the bkk hotels charge about $15 or 16 which is expensive for thailand...at the anantara where you are a captive it is $12++....
Apr 10th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

I think Ive figured this out. Dana pointed out that the website listed breakfast at B470. I suspect that the $27 price was for two occupants of the room. While this is still a lot, it's not out of line with my expectations of resort pricing. Thanks for all of your comments.
Jun 6th, 2004, 08:18 AM
CFW

Gpanda, Did you end up staying at the Royal Meridien Phuket Yacht Club? How did you like it? How was the beach? What was the final scoop on the breakfasts?
Jun 7th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

CFW we're not going until November. Last time we went to Phuket, we stayed at the Chedi. It was very good. Somewhat isolated, but that was the only drawback. If you're looking to just hang out at a wonderful, quiet place, the Chedi is superb. Make sure you take a day trip to Phang Nga Bay to see the limestone karsts. You can book through seacanoe.com.
Jun 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
CFW

Gpanda, We're planning a trip for February, so definately let me know how you like the Royal Meridien. We had thought about the Chedi, and still may consider it but somehow the Royal Meridien seemed more appealing, with more open views to the sea, & perhaps more spa facilities. It seemed that we would have to get a much more expensive room or villa at the Chedi in order to really get sea views. Also, although the Royal Meridien is a little isolated & quiet (which we like), it seems that it is closer to other areas if we want to get out of the resort for dinner or entertainment. But, since I haven't been to Thailand, I'm just going by what others have said on this and other sites & the photos and descriptions on the web. Would love to hear more about your experience there previously! We're also thinking about splitting our southern beach time -- with perhaps a few days at the Pimalai on Koh Lanta or the Meridien on Koh Samui, both of which look like they are set in stunning natural beauty with total privacy, and a few days on Phuket for more activity. What do you think?
Jun 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

CFW-the decision whether to split your beach time depends on how much time you have and what you want out of it. If you just want to relax, one beautiful beach would probably do. Switching beaches might give you a different view, but you lose time and serenity when you travel. We had a hillside cottage at the Chedi. The room was nice and nicely appointed, but the view was to the side, not towards the Andaman Sea. However, from the deck on the side of the cottage there was a beutiful view of the water. There were biting bugs, but not too many. We actually spent most of our time by the beach or the pool. I tried the Spa, which was very good, but not exquisite. We had a wonderful time there. The only reason we're going to the RMPYC is for variety. Just occurred to me that you could actually switch hotels in Phuket without too much logistical angst and get two different views/experiences.
Jun 10th, 2004, 02:19 AM
CFW

Gpanda, Thanks for the info on Chedi. Sounds good. Be sure to give us a trip report when you return from your visit in November, and I'd love and full review of the RMPYC comparing it to Chedi. Thanks!