BOSTON GTG 2009

Search

BOSTON GTG 2009

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOSTON GTG 2009

can't seem to find the original posting so i thought i would get the ball rolling with a new post...

our GTG this year might be slightly different as the Le Meridien has become a bit difficult to deal with, and they are into renovations, so we will move the venue, sticking to cambridge however..

the date is October 10, 2009---time and location to be announced later

we hope to have an out of towners friday nite dinner (and in towners too), a saturday meeting/meal mid-day and a saturday nite meal.... a sunday brunch may be in the offerings also.....we are still planning but the date is set in drying concrete...

questions to: [email protected]
or here

bob and andy
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure Eric and I will be there for the Friday and Saturday festivities, and Sunday brunch if there is one. Will you and Karen be staying over at the hotel again? That was such fun.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

i expect we will stay over....we loved it too...
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM

We are looking forward to attending, hopefully more than just the Saturday lunch this time. Arn leaves for China again right around then but we anticipate that it will be just after the week-end.

Curious to know about other Cambridge venues under consideration...happily, the Head-of-the-Charles is the following week-end (but I imagine that you took that into consideration when selecting the date).
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM

MaryA-Similans on First Street is one of the Cambridge locations. Punjab (actually in Arlington) is another. Any input is appreciated. The different events have different needs. Fri. night is smaller, 17-20 people. Sat. night is 20-25 and Sat. afternoon is 30-35. These are historical and subject to change.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Similans sounds great since you already have a good relationship with them.

Punjab in Arlington has the best Indian food that I know of in this area. I am just trying to imagine the acoustics with a good-sized group. I have been a few times since they remodeled/expanded, but always in a party of 2-6. I remember thinking that cross-table conversations with the party of 6 were impossible because of the noise level. Can't quite visualize what the set up would be -- something to check on -- but the food is quite good.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Punjab has an area in the back that might suit. If not, we can just comandeer a portion. Of course, if we do lunch there, it will bew less crowded. Bob will have an opinion and no doubt bore us to death with it. I agree that the food is superb.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM

We'll be there and will try to arrive in time for Friday night festivities - I'm up for Indian food too.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 04:04 AM

I look forward to this!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 05:07 AM

More "input" or, more accurately, thinking-out-loud masquerading as input.

Have you considered one of the Elephant Walk restaurants for one of the events? The Cambridge location has apparently been remodeled -- I have not seen the results -- have you? It had gotten a little expensive a couple of years back but I just had a look at their blog which says that they have a new pricing strategy to bring all entrees back under $20. Like everyone else in the industry, they are worried about value. They have lunch and dinner tasting menus and could also be approached to customize a menu. Just a thought since many on this board are passionate about Cambodia.

For those unfamiliar with the Elephant Walk, they call themselves bi-cultural (i.e., not fusion) Cambodian and French restaurants in three locations: Boston, Cambridge and Waltham.
The life-story of the founding chef and her family is certain to interest you all so do have a look at the bios at
http://www.shrunkin.com/17256/

Still brainstorming rather than recommending... Have you tried the little Nepalese place, Kathmandu Spice, on Mass Ave in Arlington? I only went once last Spring but have been meaning to go back. It is a little neighborhood place that would be suited to a small gathering if the food passed muster.

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM

An observation or two: The most important element of the GTG is an atmosphere and environment that allows people to mingle and chat. Buffets are absolutely ideal, as they provide a wide range of choices and you don't need to worry about overwhelming the wait staff of a restaurant. Also, the room that B+A got for us at the Inn/Meridien was just big enough to allow people to get up from their tables and move around, at least a little bit, to other tables.

The quality of food is, to my mind, about 99th on the list of important aspects. (The food at the Inn/Meridien was consistently mediocre, at its best, yet the GTGs have always been terrific.)
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Sigh... one of these years we'll make it to the Boston gtg, the grandaddy of them all. Who knows - it might be this year.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM

I agree w/Don, that a buffet is easiest to maneuver. I'm open to any and all places! Count me in. It's already "inked" in on my calendar. I'll be any and all of the GTG events, as usual.

Kathie, hope you can come this time. Is guenmai considering a return?

Carol
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Bob and Andy: Could one of you please post this hold-the-date post on some of the other boards as well? I know that Boston Fodorites are Asia-centric but many of us don't populate the Asia boards on a routine basis. Europe, US and the Lounge would be good choices. Thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

i usually post on the europe board as well after we have most of the kinks out of the plan and will do so again this time...

we are having dinner with andy and beth tonight and karen and i have some GTG issues to discuss with them so perhaps some things will come from this....

we encourage all suggestions for sites and venuew as well as food, etc....

must go get my shit-kickers on to go meet andy....bye
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Bob has this ridiculous idea to abandon Cambridge for the suburbs. He claims that $18 for parking is too much. Every year, I've parked at a meter and paid less than three dollars. Absurd.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

have you ever met a person with suburb phobia????

we spent some time this afternoon looking for alternative locations west of boston....our task was to find a place with plenty of space---thanks rizutto----and hopefully one with decent food at a manageable price for everyone, and also one with near-by accomodations also at an affordable price given 2009's economic situation...free parking would also be a bonus..in years past the only complaint i heard about cambridge was the parking fee of around $20... we loved the Le Meridien (hotel@MIT), but unfortunately they are in renovations this year and cannot accomodate us, plus they suggested a $500 room rental charge...

we found a couple of interesting bets that met all of our criteria....we are awaiting menus from the most promising one, which also just happens to be next door to a rapid transit terminus stop in newton....

now we just have to convince a certain party of their merits..

DO ANY OF YOU PREFER AN URBAN SETTING OVER A SUBURBAN SETTING??

we also want to get back to a decent mid-day meal rather than a brunch menu, while at the same time keeping the price affordable for all.... we are also trying to avoid room charges which most of the venues charge--$50-175 for the room..

so in the next few weeks we will pull things together and let you know what is happening....

BUT PLAN ON OCT 10 NO MATTER WHAT----GREATER BOSTON...

just as we were finishing our meal tonight an attractive woman approached our table----andy thought it was a groupie who wanted his autograph or room number----but it was maggie o'brien who had attended a GTG a couple of years ago....she recognized us, largely because we were so noisy....nice to see her---its such a small world...fodorites are everywhere...
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM

I was thinking that if the Saturday get-together is to be in Cambridge, it almost has to be at a hotel to be able to accommodate the numbers in a private room. Since le Meridien is out, that mostly leaves The Charles or Sonesta. I've been to a few events at the Charles and they do a very nice job. I don't know about the cost, however.

Since you are willing to consider the suburbs, Waltham has a wealth of restaurants and while it isn't accessible via the T (although maybe the bus?) it does have commuter rail service. Solea Restaurant & Tapas Bar might be large enough to accommodate the group.

Either urban or suburban is fine with me.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

waltham is part of the mix actually...
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM

He's lost his mind. At the very least, we should have one in-town portion to give the urban dwellers an opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -