Bose noise-reducing headphones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm off to Thailand next week and thinking about getting the Bose noise-reducing headphones approx $350, any suggestions. Is it even worth it to take them at any price? Suggestions are more than welcomed.......

Thaks in advance
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:05 PM

I bought mine about 3 years ago and have not regretted it. Do you fly a lot? They have paid for themselves for me a couple of time being on long haul flights where a baby was crying uncontrollably. It does not mask out everything but dulls it considerably.

Just back from Thailand 4 days ago, and back on a plane again tomorrow- have my headphones.
Sue
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM

I got some just before my last trip. They are nice. In part, it depends on how much you fly and how sensitive you are to noise.

While I lke them, I have to say that I've flown many years without them and lived to tell the tale.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM

While the Bose is probably nice, you should know that it's not the only noise-canceling or noise-isolating headphones out there. And it is one of the most expensive and largest in size.

There are other brands that make noise-isolating phones. Sennheiser has several models, with the most expenisve one at around $199.

Sony also makes several - traditional over the head ones and ear-buds. Also all cheaper than the Bose.

Also consider noise-isolating "canal phones" that goes deep inside your ears, sealing off all noises. These don't have extra circuitry, and are much smaller. Shure and Etymotic each has several models.

I personally use the Shure E4c, which I paid under $200. Extremely small and light, which is very important for me when traveling.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM

I used to use high-end noise-cancelling headphones (including the Bose models they loan out AA flights) but have switched to In-Ear-Monitors (IEMs) and would never go back. IEMs like Shure are superior to noise-cancelling headphones in every way: better sound, better noise reduction, more comfortable (you can sleep on your side with them in), no batteries, much much smaller and lighter, and cheaper. There are several makes, with a useful comparison here: http://www.earphonesolutions.com/beeaforip.html

Even the cheapest Shure E2C ($65 at Amazon) works very well--they are what made me switch.

BTW. These kind of earphones need to be "broken in" for a few days before they reach their best performance, and you will also need to find the best fit for your own ears (they have to seal perfectly and come with several different kinds and sizes of tips).
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:39 PM

The Bose are too big and bulky, plus they are a bit warm since they cover your ears. Mine have been sitting in the drawer for over a year.

Pick up a pair of Shure E500PTH. The sound is better than the Bose as is the noise isolation.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM

I agree that I would not travel without mine, but I fly 2-3 times a month, and always long haul. (I am writing this in an airport lounge in Kuala Lumpur at 8 am after an overnight flight from Mumbai.) If you don’t fly that much, you might try to borrow them from someone for your Thailand flight; as you may not use them enough to justify that expense.

I used another brand (Sony) for about 5 years until they wore out and wish I had bought the Bose sooner, they are so much better. I agree they can be hard to sleep in, but I am not a person who sleeps much on planes and not on my side anyway, so I don’t find that an issue. (It’s also hard to wear earrings with them, but that may also not be an issue for you…) They weigh a few ounces and come in a small light case, so weight is not an issue and they just go right in the bag with my book and other carry-on stuff with no problem. They use one AAA battery which lasts a very long time in my experience, and the case has room for a spare battery so you are never in a situation without power.

You should try a few different types and see what you like. On a very long flight like to Thailand, I wonder if the in-your-ear type would become irritating; I generally also wear ear plugs with the head phones (for total silence) and find that after 8-10 hours, the plugs do start to make my ears tender and I generally have to remove them.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I agree that I would not travel without mine, but I fly 2-3 times a month, and always long haul. (I am writing this in an airport lounge in Kuala Lumpur at 8 am after an overnight flight from Mumbai.) If you don’t fly that much, you might try to borrow them or some other type from someone for your Thailand flight; as you may not use them enough to justify that expense.

I used another brand (Sony) for about 5 years until they wore out and wish I had bought the Bose sooner, they are so much better. I agree they can be hard to sleep in, but I am not a person who sleeps much on planes and not on my side anyway, so I don’t find that an issue. (It’s also hard to wear earrings with them, but that may also not be an issue for you…) They weigh a few ounces and come in a small light case, so weight is not an issue and they just go right in the bag with my book and other carry-on stuff with no problem. They use one AAA battery which lasts a very long time in my experience, and the case has room for a spare battery so you are never in a situation without power.

You should try a few different types and see what you like. On a very long flight like to Thailand, I wonder if the in-your-ear type would become irritating; I generally also wear ear plugs with the head phones (for total silence) and find that after 8-10 hours, the plugs do start to make my ears tender and I generally have to remove them.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM

l
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM

The point about the comfort of in-ear type is valid. My experience with several Sony and Shure models is that it takes several days to get used to them. I wear them all the time so now I can have them in my ear as long as I want and they're still totally comfortable. But if you only use them for occasional travel, then it can be an issue.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Worth every last penny. I never leave home without them and I keep them on the whole 17 hours 10 minutes L.A. to Bangkok. Just remember to take extra batteries in case you forget to turn them off after the flight and the battery runs down. The batteries do last a long time though. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Wounldn't leave home without my Sennheisers.They are highly rated and what I love is they are mini headphones.I had the earbuds first (sony) and they were not that comfortable for long flights (with a pillow especially).I didn't want to deal with large headphone. The best thing about them is that they fold into the size of eyeglasses and come with a semisoft case with the plugs in elastic straps.I also wear foam earplugs with them..Im very satisfied with them
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM

If you are flying coach...by all means get the earphones! Just remember, if you are lucky enough to fly business or first, you are offered noise cancelling headsets inflight.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM

I fly business sometimes (Delta or Air France the last couple of times.)..never saw those ...what airline?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I fly biz, and have never seen the noise-reducing headphones offered.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM

My hsb has had his Bose for years, I just got mine this year and loved them -- made a huge difference flying as we definitely had a few crying babies. If you have coins laying around and are near a coinstar machine (you can find locations online)you can trade your coins towards an amazon gift card and buy them online (won't help bcalvary as he/she is off soon but for anyone else). I was amazed at how much change we had laying around the house !
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 01:22 AM

The 2 Shure I tried were in the ear and were not comfortable for me. I have the Bose 2 and when Bose 3 came out I tried them but chose not to buy for I did not believe another $350 was justified. If you buy Bose take along extra batteries for the ear ohones if you plan to use them a lot. Also an extra lithium battery for your MP3 player.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM

Airlines with noise cancelling headphones in first and business class = Cathay Pacific(new suite), Singapore Airline and a few others.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:06 PM

Do all the different headphones plug into the jacks in planes so I can actually hear the movie that they're playing? The headset they give you has really garbled sound. Unfortunately, I don't know if the jack types are different in biz or 1st, as I'm travelling coach, usually 747.

Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM

The type of headphone plugs depend on the airline. I've seen all three.

- Single 1/4" plug (large)
- Single 1/8" miniplug (the common type use on MP3 and walkman/discman)
- Dual miniplugs (very common among US carriers)

If I am not sure, I bring adapters for both the 1/4" plug and the dual plugs to use with my own headphones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -