bombs over bangkok

Search

bombs over bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bombs over bangkok

apperently there hase been a couple of explosions around the city. I don't exactly know what happend but I did here one bomb go off around victory monument my apartment window darn near blew out.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 06:47 AM

We're in Tokyo but just saw the very somber breaking news. Six grenade-type bombs were set off simultaneously at 6 PM. Three dead and many injured. Stores were closed, malls evacuated. All public New Years parties have been cancelled.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:33 AM

gheezz, you and nam ok? about what time did the bomb go off?
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:33 AM

I just heard about this as well. Very sad. I hope they catch the bomber(s) quickly.

Here is an article about it:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99150
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

we are OK. we actually were not sure what was going on. so we went to the countdown party at central world plazza. after a while the mayer of bangkok showed up and cancelled the celebration.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 09:23 AM

Glad to hear you're ok, Orgy7-I feared it was only a matter of time before the south's troubles manifested themselves in Bangkok-I do hope this does not become some sort of pattern.

Be careful.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 09:53 AM

Orgy, I just heard there was another series of bombs, one that went off in a phone booth near Central World Plaza. Glad to hear you left the area.

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:06 AM

You might find update information at www.bangkokpost.com. They are reporting the second bombing at Central World Plaza.

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:07 AM

Orgy, I'm glad to hear you are ok. I hope we'll hear from our other Bangkok Fodorites.

I'm so sad to see this happening in Bangkok.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

I was about half-way through planning an extensive autumn trip to the region.

Here's an article from about an hour ago:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=115639

I've been airlifted out of the Andes after a rabid dog bite, I've been held against my will in Tunisia and I have been gravely ill in Senegal. I have no need to put myself in, what appears to be, a deteriorating environment. A sad day for Thailand. I am certain that other potential travelers will avoid the place - the world is too big, and there are other wonderful places with fewer risks attached to them.

Part of the issue for me is the advance time and energy that I put into trip planning. While some have advised that I wait and see, I don't want to jeopardize plans and non-refundable deposits.

I'm out; sorry.

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:51 AM

This breaks my heart.

The Bankok Post article says a third bomb was found on Khao San Rd, but diffused before it went off. Had it gone off I suspect it could have been as devastating as the one in Bali a few years back.

An article on cnn.com did not mention the third bomb but quoted a political science prof as saying he suspected Thaksin supporters rather than Muslim extremists.

Hmmmm....would it keep me from going back? Not sure. I'd like to think no, but then again, I guess it would depend if this type of thing continues to happen in Bangkok. More than 1900 people have been killed in Thailand's southern provences since Jan 2004 due to bombs. I certainly would not travel there.

Sigh. Sad day for Thailand.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM

So I woke up this morning and I decided maybe I will start a blog and this subject caught my attention....

I noticed this item this morning on the CNN website:

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- At least seven explosions have ripped through several areas of downtown Bangkok, killing one person and wounding at least 11 others, police say.

Sunday's blasts came as residents prepared to celebrate New Year's Eve at midnight (noon ET).

One blast occurred at a mall near the Victory Monument in the center of the Thai capital, Reuters reported.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

I tend to notice things like this because I travel a bit. It so happens that I was at that particular mall in July and really, I'm not sure how you could light much more than a cherry bomb and not hurt more people so I'm happy the casualties weren't far higher.

It's not the first time I've seen scenes familiar to me become the backdrop for this kind of thing. I sat across the street from a McDonald's in Istanbul that was bombed a few months later. I traveled through the tube stations in London that were later hit by terrorists and returned to see the charred aftermath. On a visit to Paris in the mid-90s, there were lids bolted over the public waste containers to keep people from leaving bombs in them to blow up random, unsuspecting strangers. During the car-burning spree there in late 2005, I watched four French policemen rough up a couple of Arab immigrants in my RER rail car as we went through the troubled suburbs north of the city. A lot of us have been to Ground Zero in New York City -- both before and after September 11. Our daughter has a picture from a class trip which is posed with the Twin Towers in the background. It's a very different thing to look at it now, compared to when she first brought it home. At least 100 times, I've walked across the place where John Hinckley Jr. emerged from a crowd and shot President Reagan.

We hear the phrase "Peace on earth, goodwill to mankind" so often every holiday season that it can begin to sound almost trite. It still sounds like a pretty good idea to me. In fact, it sounds better all the time.

Happy New Year to Time Magazine's Person of the Year: You.

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

wow. there was a bomb at central. it's kind of funny we were at the change beer hall in central world plazza. the music was so louad we could not hear eachother speek. after the celebration was shut down the anouncers said we could stay and finish our food and drinks. after a while my girlfraind looked at some TV screens that showed a singha beer hall. which wsa serounded by police. she then realized we were sitting about 50 yards from that venue. we all suspected thier may have been a bomb there but we did not hear anything and there was no chaos anywhere..so we stuck around and finished our food and beer. I still dont think a bomb went off.
there has been lots of rummers going around. and news seems to verry scetchy .

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:24 PM

So sad to see this happening. Saw the news on tv and went to look it up. We're not going to be cancelling our upcoming trip to Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:55 PM

Bangkok is well worth the visit. Don't cancel it cuz of this.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Bomb in a mosque in Chiang Mai:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007...l_30023146.php
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM

but now everything is OK.check my native travel photos at www.photosthailand.com