BKK to Yangon

Aug 15th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

BKK to Yangon

We are contemplating flying over to Yangon from Bangkok. How much is the round trip and where can i find info on that? Is there an asian orbitz website? Which guidebook would you recommend on Myanmar? I 've been to BKK but not Myanmar and I know nothing about the place except i read some of your reviews. Are there websites with useful info? do I need a visa? I am looking into the asian pass with Cathy Pacific from here to BKK, Indonesia and HK. I have read all the fine prints twice. If anyone out there has had experience with the asian pass please let me know.
thanks
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Yes, you need a visa in advance. I'd recommend reading the Lonely Planet guide. You can fly Thai Air (don't fly the national airline of Myanmar) and find the prices in the Thai website.
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Mobissimo.com is a great resource for finding out which airlines fly a route you are interested in--also gives a ball-park price for comparisons. Bangkok Airlines also flies to Yangon from Bangkok.
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:12 PM

i flew on thai air two years ago and it was perfect...it cost about $189 round trip...i booked through a bkk travel agent that is out of business now...

try using sea tours in bkk...eddie

his e-mail is [email protected]

he has great prices and will deliver to your bkk hotel and takes credit cards with no up charge...

i had a driver there..his name is kway and you can reach him at [email protected]
he is fantastice and very reasonable...i stayed at the former ressaisance hotel now called the inya lake hotel for about $65 per nite...out of town but very lovely and old fashioned....i would investigate staying at the pansea hotel or the former palace that begins with a "K" on a lake in the middle of the city...sorry i do not know the name...everything is very inexpensive there....

i got my visa from the embassy in washington dc....
i do not know where you are from so can only suggest the embassy in the capital of your country...or you can get it in bkk if you have a few days...you need a couple of passport pictures...

the shopping is great there and the pagodas are magnificent...i only visited yangon and the surrounding countryside....i spent 5 days there...

a great italian restaurant is L'Opera on the outskirts of town...there is a sister restaurant on soi 39, sukhumvit rd in bkk....same name

i do not know which guide book i used...there are several...
Aug 16th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

thankyou all. i am going to get some guidebooks and start from there.