Asking assistance for Bangkok to Myanmar to Laos trip in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Bangkok, taking one day to recover from our 20+ hrs trip and talking w/tourist agencies about booking flights for our "real" destination . . . Myanmar.

Right now, we want to spend a couple of days in Yangon, Bagan, Lake Inle . . . and would like to squeeze in Luang Prabang. We have 2 full weeks, excluding travel days. We are prepared to fly if flights are in the $100/leg range. Is this doable?

I'm having trouble finding flights and am wondering if we should go from Bangkok to LP first and then fly into Yangon or Bagan? If we fly first to Y, then I don't see how we can get to LP without going back to Bangkok. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts and suggestions for routing and anything else that would make our trip perfect.

We plan on getting our visa for Myanmar here (USA) before leaving . . . I read on the internet that we can get the visa for Laos on arrival, anyone have any experience with that?

I know I will have more questions. Please bear with me, I had to order a Myanmar guidebook and it has not arrived yet.

We've been to Bangkok twice before and also been to Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Nepal, China, HK so we don't need to spend much time in BKK coming or going and we're somewhat experienced in Asian traveling.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can give us.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM

We are going to Myanmar in less than two weeks. We spent 3 days in LP last February. I think with 2 full weeks excluding travel days you can certainly do it all and it will be a very nice trip. The flights within Myanmar are less than $100pp, not much less but within your budget. You may be able to get a decent deal with the Discovery Airpass on Bangkok Airways for the Bangkok-Yangon and Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights that is under $100 as well. There are no direct flights to my knowledge between Myanmar and Laos. We got our Laos visa before we went and it just made things go more smoothly when we arrived. Where is Denton? - I realize that from one of your previous posts that it is in Texas but noone else will have a clue so why do you always include that? Are you dealing directly with an agency in Myanmar? Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

Hi Sandy (in Denton),

I can't help much regarding logistics in getting to and from a destination in Myanmar but I can answer your question regarding Laos Visa.

The Lao visa is very easy to obtain upon arrival in LP. It seems a bit confusing the way they shuffle you into one line to pay the fee and then you go to another line right next to it to actually pick up your passport. It is a fairly communistic system but it works quite well all the same.

I recommend you spend at least 3 full days in Luang Prabang. It is such a nice town to chill out in.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM

Flights in Myanmar, as Craig has mentioned, are less than $100 pp. Yangon - He Ho (Inle Lake) cost around $75 pp, He Ho - Mandalay cost around $30 pp etc.

The Lonely Planet guide book is probably the most popular and perhaps the best for touring Myanmar.

No matter which direction you fly first you will have to stop in BKK for the Yangon to LP.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman, your info was exactly what I needed to know. If we can't fly between Myanmar-Laos without returning to Bangkok, I think we'll try to spend the bulk of our time in Myanmar (w/3 days in Bangkok) and leave Laos for another time.

Eurotraveller, thanks for the Laos visa info, good to know the procedure . . . for next time.

Craig, I hope you will post a report on your trip when you return . . . or better yet, if you send back reports from the road, I'd love to be on your email list ([email protected]). I use Sandy (in Denton) to distinguish me from the other Sandy's who post on Fodor's . . . surprisingly, a lot of posters know Denton or know someone who went to school at one of our two universities here.

Happy travels,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM

If Laos is anything like Cambodia, you might focus on finding the visa line as soon as you get into the airport...it will save you lots of time if you aren't stuck back in the line.
Craig, please post from the road....we're right behind you (just like last year)...we can't wait to hear about Myanmar.
Happy Travels to everyone.
Don and Joyce
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:43 AM

Sandy (in Denton) and Don and Joyce - you probably won't hear much from me when I'm in Myanmar as internet access other than e-mail is quite limited. I'll try and post from Bangkok but we will be quite busy since we only have a few days there. I will, of course, do a full (and timely) trip report as I would not want to be subject to the Gpanda penalty...
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Craig;Likewise....I read your postings when planning a trip to Thailand,Siem Reap and LP twoyears ago...and they were incredibly helpful. Please include me on the Burma (can't give into a toltalitarian govt's whims)postings.SEAis awonderful corner of the world and I am looking forward to returning. THis May its 10 days in India, however. thanks [email protected] Jan
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Craig - We will be anxious to hear how you find Myanmar in comparison to Laos. We are thinking of planning a trip to Myanmar ourselves for the end of the year. We loved Laos and how relatively unspoiled it was (since we found Vietnam much more touristy than we expected). Since you loved Luang Prabang too, we look forward to your thoughts. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:01 AM

Look for a thread on our Myanmar trip in early March - we return on the 3rd.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:55 AM

get your visa photos here before you leave (regular passport size). that way, the 'wait' for a visa is almost non-existent in Laos. What a lovely place;L-P. enjoy