BKK King's birthday

Search

BKK King's birthday

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK King's birthday

Will be in BKK for the celebration and can find almost no info other than that it is a big deal for the locals. Have any of you been there on the big day? What can we expect and is there a prime spot to be to see any special goings-on?
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:00 AM

This year the King's birtday(Dec 5th) will be on a Monday and thus it will become a long weekend for most locals. Bangkok will be deserted with minimal traffic while places like Pattaya and Hua Hin will be very full.

Officially there will be a colourful military parade and there will be flags on most houses and buildings. Since the King is considered as the Father of the country Dec 5th will also be Father's day in Thailand.

Prime spot for a tourist would be the Grand Palace at night.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the Fathers Day info.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Trouping of the colors usually happens a few days before the birthday. It will probably be on the Friday or Saturday this year. The ceremony takes place at the royal plaza, near the zoo and parliment house.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM

i have been there several times....almost every commercial building and many private ones put up huge pics of the king (usually as a young man or much younger man) in front of their buildings....many have colorful lites, etc....some are very elaborate...

many things are closed on dec 5, but hotels and most large restaurants are open as usual....it is a good day to take it easy or do something that does not require you to go to any public buildings, etc....call ahead to places to see if they are open...

he reviews the troops....often there are fireworks on the river and in other places....good day to be in the country honestly...so as to not waste a day...
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM

I loved being there and saluting their king. I've read a lot about him and my respect for him is huge. I wouldn't think of leaving the city on that day-- I love participating in thai celebrations. But you should do some reading about the king so you can fully appreciate the event.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM

gloria---if i remember correctly on his birthday the king usually comes to greet you in the oriental lobby??
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:47 PM

On that day you take the MRT free,only for
the father.