BKK flooding isn't going to stop me!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm already on the road towards BKK, trip #25 to the Venice of the Far East. Sounds like I just may experience some unexpected canals on this trip (flooding)! I'll be staying on Sukhumvit soi 8 once again, at Adelphi Suites. The staff is very welcoming. The location is perfect for me. And I love using the washing machine in the kitchen of my executive one bedroom apartment.

Tonight (Sunday) I'm staying at a hotel near to my departure airport (PIA) and my flight is to ORD at 5:45am (ugh). I'd rather sleep near to the airport than drive over in the weeeee hours of the morning, with the deer darting across the road in front of me. I've never hit one (knock on wood) and don't want to start NOW.

Anyway, my routing takes me from PIA to ORD, and then ORD-LAX (in economy right now, but hoping for upgrade); from LAX to NRT (biz class, new 777) and then upper deck 747 biz seat from NRT to BKK, arriving in the city at 11pm Tuesday night. Hope all goes smoothly and my two check bags make it. They are full of goodies for my friends, plus my own 'stuff' of course.

I'm sure I am going to appreciate that nice shower and amenities kit at Narita Red Carper, once again. Or is it now just called the United Club....

Come on along with me, if you'd like to, on yet another adventure to the Land of Smiles. At this time, I am scheduled to spend 13 nights at Adelphi, but I am going to investigate a 2- or 3-night trip to Georgetown Penang Malaysia once I get to BKK. IF that trip pans out, it will be solo, and will be from about the 26-29 October. I'm heading back home Oct 31. There are several 'events' scheduled on this trip, and I shall report on them as I go along. This is a special trip in more ways than one. Curious? Then follow along! Now,time for some shuteye! I'll catch up with everyone during stop-overs on the flight(s) over.

Carol
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM

I am with you Carol, here and on FB.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Carol, I'm envious. Have a wonderful time. Safe travels and, I'll be following along.
Sue
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Pace yourself like I do
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Have a wonderful trip, Carol. I'm sorry you'll be gone before we get there!
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 07:27 PM

see you in bkk at the end of the week... bon voyage
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 05:02 AM

Fly safe and enjoy that shower at Narita.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Will follow you on your trip , AGAIN...., have a safe trip Carol and a big kiss to Maeng from Jo and I.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Warm greetings Carol, from a warm Singapore evening!

Sending you best travel wishes. Have fun, thanks for your ongoing support of the Thai economy -- and for something new for you (perhaps), consider a sunset libation at the St. Regis. That place was as fine as ever ~ 12 days back. Beautiful hotel and views with great staff and friends; looking forward to returning there (and Peninsula) next month.

Enjoy,

macintosh (robert)

... Fly the Friendly Skies ...
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Best laid plans......... what can I say. Travel is an adventure!!! Prepare for the unexpected. My commuter flight was nearly 1 1/2 hours late taking off this morning from PIA, firstly due to a sick pilot and having to wait for a new one; and then air traffic at OHare kept us on the ground at PIA for about 15 minutes extra.

What that means is that my 8am flight to LAX was LONG gone by the time I hit OHare. Thank goodness for my 1k status, and that very special 1k telephone 'hot line'... I am now on the 881 flight, direct to NRT from ORD (forget stopping at Lax this time) and I got my upgrade to biz. It carried over to the new flight arrangement. I believe I'm on a new 777, in a center seat, but hey, it's lie flat, I'm going to sleep anyway!! Doesn't matter. Now, if this turns out to be an old 777 (anything is possible) then I won't sleep quite as well. I can't tell by my seat assignment, and when I look up the flight it doesn't tell me which 777, only that it is 777. Tomorrow's flight is on a new one. I hope today's is the same. Fingers crossed.

I stopped at duty free to have a look at chocolates, but I really have enough already. I did pick up something for the nice doorman at AS. He'll be tickled. A nice surprise for someone who works very hard, and always takes good care of me!

I'll catch up with everyone at Narita. Thanks for all of the good wishes... and yes, Evelyne, I'll give Maeng a big kiss from you and Jo! When do you go back?

Kathie sorry we'll miss each other yet again in BKK. One of these days I'll have to skip out on the regular November trip to Switzerland.... yeah right..... Maybe you should change YOUR trip to mid-December when I'm in BKK for the holidays... lol.... We'll get it done SOMETIME!

Macintosh... I will maybe check out the St Regis. Thanks for that tip. Is there a rooftop bar by any chance?

Degas, I always pace myself. As son Brad says, BKK is one city where you can have just ONE thing you need to do in a day's time, and NOT get it done!! I'm in no rush!! Things seem to run on 'Thai time' which sometimes leaves me waiting... I've learned to deal with it.

Carol
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM

all's well that ends well.... seems like the direct flt would be better anyways---why didn't you have that in the first place?
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

'cause I did NOT want to sit at OHare for 6 hours.... At least today was only about 3 (plus time for breakfast out in the terminal). Not quite so bad.

On my way to my gate in about 15 minutes. I still don't know if I'm flying on the old or the new 777... but, hey, it's in biz so I'll cope!!
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Made it to Narita. The plane was the old style 777, but that meant that I had an aisle seat. Row nine is in the smaller section just behind 1st class, and very quiet. The cockpit crew rest area was directly across the aisle from my seat, so I saw all the pilots/co-pilots/navigators/etc. They all looked alert! (that's always good)

Movies were pretty slim pickins' so I opted for an episode of House instead, had a meal, and then went to sleep. I don't really 'sleep' in the old style barcalounger seats, being a side sleeper and that is nearly impossible in those seats. But I did manage to get rested up.

A nice shower upon arrival in the NRT Red Carpet and now I'm just snacking and waiting for the flight onward to BKK.

Pook, I saw the satellite images. I hope your house does not suffer very much water damage, as that can be so heartbreaking to deal with.

I hope Tong is OK. It sounds as though she has been impacted by the floods and maybe cannot get out?? I hope the waters will recede in the next couple of days, in any case.

I look forward to seeing Maeng tonight around midnight (but I do not have a life raft to get to her bar if Sukhumvit has flood waters!! We shall see. Time will tell.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

I heard from a friend down in the city that Sukhumvit should not be a problem right now. That's good to hear. I should be fine getting from the airport into the city center.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:38 AM

I think all my (DH's) concerns about flooding have been handled, and we will be in BKK Thursday by noon. Hope the AS remembers to pick us up. I have written them, but haven't heard back ~~ maybe tomorrow. We have luggage there! The luggage I could leave without regret, but NOT MY CHICO'S SHIRTS! How's that for priorities?!

Almost time for cocktails and snacks in the Club Lounge here at the Singapore IC, so a nap first. See you Thursday. Sandra
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 01:49 AM

Looking forward to this trip with you Carol. Wish I was there now too even if it is a little wet
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM

So Carol, you were on 881 and it was "old style" seating? What is the deal with that?

Glad you made it to Narita though and look forward to more as always...
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 05:17 AM

about to embark in coach for many hours... what is all this baby crying about business class seating??? boo-hoo

see you at the end of the week in bkk.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Hey Carol welcome to Bangkok! We saw you waving as you flew over yesterday. Will be following along as usual.
Don't think any amount of water will stop C Simpson from shopping.
Maybe catch you next November in BKK before we go to you know where. My weather predictions for next year unfortunately mirror this years weather patterns in SE Asia as La Nina has strengthened and returned with a vengeance here in the Pacific.

Have fun and we'll be here reading with envy. Can't wait to hear about Buddha Bob wading through the waters,lol.

Aloha!
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Sandra... I know how you feel. I had just typed about 8-10 paragraphs and BINGO... GONE!!! Drat!

I'm at AS on soi 8. Everything is dry around here, but there are a few places that have tossed sandbags out in front of their businesses... just in case.

Maeng made garlic shrimp for me. Delicious, as always.

Craig, I'll re-type what I had written about the 777 at some later time, but just to let you know UA is swapping the old for the new, and the switch from one to the other can be made at the drop of a hat. Lots of passengers were caught off guard on this one.

Tomorrow, not sure what's going on. I'm unpacked, so I don't need to do that. I do need to run to one of the markets for my usual fridge stuff that I keep on hand.

I will try to think about my disappearing post and reconstruct some of it, but for now... sleep might be a bit more important than typing!!! It's going on 3am.

Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -