BKK

Jan 15th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

BKK

BKK here I come! I want to go for spring break this year. Def want to get to Phuket but the main goal is to see my friend that I haven't seen since we were 19.

Thoughts, suggestions welcome.

(*for certain, what airline do you recommend? Do you have a fave airline for travel to BKK or do you choose by price/schedule)

Thanks,
Gypsy.
Jan 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Price/schedule. From the US, the cheaper flights go through Narita, HK or Seoul. All arrive in BKK after 10:00 p.m. the second day. You can fly through Eorope and arrive in the late afternoon, but these fares are usually more expensive. If there's a choice, look at the planes that the airline uses on the long leg. This can make a big difference.
Jan 15th, 2010, 01:38 PM

I see from your profile you're in the US, but I don't know where. If you are on the west coast, most flight leave around mid-day and arrive in Bangkok just before midnight the next day.

What airlines do you have frequent flier accounts with? For this long a flight, you can earn some serious miles and perhaps even get a premium frequent flier status, depending on how much you fly.

When is your spring break? The rains start in Phuket in April.
Jan 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

OK, so this is from a while ago.

I ended up buying the ticket direct from LA on Thai Airways. AFTER I bought it I see the cc name has to match the passport exactly.

DAM IT. So I have to call them this week to clarify with them.
Jan 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Good idea getting the direct flt on Thai. That option is sometimes in question. Curious to know if you thought it was expensive.

Make sure you give Bangkok plenty of time. Phuket might be rainy, but don't let that keep you from going. It won't rain all the time. I've been to Phuket during various months of the year, and sometimes it was in what is called a rainy month, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the island anyway. Showers were usually brief. The problem can be the humidity!!

Anyway, what's the plan, now that you have your ticket?
Jan 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Simpsonc510~have you ever heard of theplf.org? One of Fodors' Fodorites runs a school in Cambodia. I want to make a hop over to her location for a day or two since I'm going to be over there..I am not certain this will work out based on prices.

My friend who lives in BKK is from there. She has to work, but will get with me during the times she's not working. It will be an adventure. I think she's going to assign one of her friends to be in charge of me while I am there. If she can't be my tour guide all the time, she wants someone to be.
Jan 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Phuket will have to wait, I think.
Jan 26th, 2010, 10:27 PM

I highly recommend ANA. I booked my flight with them and not only did I get the cheapest price (from the East coast) but also the best service I have ever experienced on an airline.
Jan 27th, 2010, 04:35 AM

gypsy
I've heard of the plf but have never visited there. I know that some fodorites have been there. You should do a search to find the trip reports on those visits.

I'm glad you will have someone helping you get acclimated to the Thai culture and to Bangkok. It is the most amazing city! I hope you find it enjoyable. Adventure? Yes!!! Have a fantastic time. I can't wait to return in April.

Carol
Jan 27th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Gypsy, it is a Fodorite who started theplf.org, but she doesn't run a school. Instead, the charity (named in honor of a Cambodian woman, a former teacher who has been helping out children and teachers and schools for many years) supports many children, teachers and schools in the Siem Reap area. On the plf website are accounts and videos showing a number of Fodorites visiting schools and interacting with the kids.

The flight to/from Siem Reap is expensive (no competition, only Bangkok Air). If you want an adventure, you can go overland. The overland route is prone to many scams, but if you read all of the info at www.talesofasia.com you'll be able to navigate the trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap and return unscathed.

Enjoy your trip!
Jan 31st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Kathie, I was advised to fly and avoid the overland route for safety reasons. As I sit here this morning, looking at my wallet, then back at the prices, and short time, and then back at the barren wallet that I carry....I may not be able to do the the PLF this trip. WaH!~ Next time, I guess.
Jan 31st, 2010, 09:51 AM

Gypsy, the overland route from Bangkok to Siem Reap is not unsafe, it's just full of scams for the unwary. If you read the talesofasia site and follow the instructions you'll be able to do the overland route with a minimum of hassle. Read all the instructions and see if you are up for the adventure.
Jan 31st, 2010, 05:19 PM

The overland route has been safe for years, the drawback being the terrible road conditions from the border. Most of the scams were encountered by those using one of the tour buses from Bangkok. The only scam now is the fee you will pay for a visa. The actual fee is $20 but they will try to get $25-30. Avoid this by getting a visa ahead of time.

The road is now fully paved and it is now takes about 2.5hrs or less from the border to Siem Reap by taxi. Adding the goverment bus time from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet, a short tuk-tuk ride to the Poipet border and custom formalities, it is possible to do the entire trip in around 7hrs.

The cost is not that great compared to flying. Excluding visa cost, a return trip will be about $118. If you do deceide to go you should plan on at least 3 nights in Siem Reap
Feb 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

simpsonc510~I can't say that I think its expensive or not. I've never been before. BUT I will say, going out of the way for a layover with UAL/Continental had the same pricetag as directon THAI so I chose THAI.

This is BIG. I am thrilled.
Feb 1st, 2010, 05:59 PM

I think you will enjoy your flight on Thai. I fly them all the time when I'm doing flights within Thailand, but also to Taiwan a couple of times. They are a nice airline.
Enjoy your trip.
Carol
Feb 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM

Gypsy,

This web site might help the flight to be more comfortable: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha...s_A340-500.php

Try and get the "green" seat.
Feb 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hanuman!!
Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM

Those green seats are usually the first ones to be taken... good luck gypsy!
Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Merry V Guesthouse, on Phra Atit Road

I heard was good. What do you think if anything?
Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

The library is now MISSING their Fodors THAILAND 2010....because I checked it out...not because I stole it.

This evening will be spent reading the book, and STUDYING my normal studying stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO