Search

Bhutan Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bhutan Hotels

Just returned from Bhutan. We are kind of confused about the Boutique Hotels in Bhutan. After lunching at a VERY nice hotel in Thimpu - Jumolhari -- I asked our tour guide if the Boutique Hotels cost more to stay in. He said no. Made me wonder why if that was the case -- we were put in one of the basic hotels. Anyone have an idea how this works? Assuming it is true that you pay the same -- if I went back -- I would probably seek out some of the boutique hotels if they were in the towns and not isolated from the general culture. Jumolhari was a block from Hotel Druk.
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I have not yet gone to Bhutan, but have twice done the research for a trip. The boutique hotels are extra - lots extra in many cases (like $400-800 a night in some cases!) I expect there was some kind of miscommunication with your guide.
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I have researched Bhutan also - I don't believe the Jumolhari falls into the class of boutique hotels that cost extra. Don't know whether you requested specific hotels when you made your arrangements. My understanding is that you can but if it is a busy time you may not get what you requested. The boutique hotels that charge extra are:
The Aman resorts in Paro, Thimphu, Phunkha, Gangtey and Bhumthang, the Uma in Paro, the Taj in Thimphu and Zhiwaling in Paro. The extra cost is $250 - $1000 extra per night.
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Craig, thanks for the more detailed info than I had. I only knew of "boutique" hotels that cost extra.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Craig is right. The only hotels you'd have to pay extra for are the super luxury hotels like the Uma Paro and Aman hotels. Unless you specify otherwise, your travel agent will put you in the regular hotels and those are included in the regular tourist rate. Among those, you can specify which ones you'd like or just leave it up to the travel agent. I recommend doing some research and finding the best ones to request. Some are better than others. In Thimphu, the Jumolhari is very nice and I stayed there. It's considered a regular hotel, although it bills itself as boutique and is much nicer than others around. I had asked our travel agent for the Jumolhari and we didn't pay extra for it. In Paro, I liked the Gangtey Palace a lot. I had requested this one too and even asked for a specific room with the best view of the valley.