Search

Bhutan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 12:34 AM
Glenn Sahara

Bhutan

<BR>I would be interested to hear from any travelers who recently visited Bhutan. What does the govt. now charge per day? How does it compare to Nepal?

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 09:12 AM
clea

I haven't been there but I recently read that the charge is $200 per day.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 07:53 AM
denise

200USD per day, if you travel alone. If there is 4 of you, than it is 18o, all in, I am interested to go for tracking the next May, for 1 month. Since it is quite expensive, I want to enjoy it not just jump there for short tour. If you would be interested, please contact me. <BR>Denise ([email protected])

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 01:27 PM
Ajay Goyal

For those interested in trekking in the Eastern Himalayas...take the Sandakphu/ Phalut trek from Darjeeling. I do not believe you will have to pay the $200 for just a permit... gouging if there is a word for it. <BR> <BR>In this trek you go as high as 12,000 ft and see Mt Everest at one end, Kanchjenjunga (3rd highest) in front of you and over a dozen snow covered peaks above 20,000 ft. <BR> <BR>There is a Youth Hostel in Darjeeling (check out the Net... West Bengal Tourist site or travel books) who can organizae this for you. <BR> <BR>If you have interest, E-Mail me and I will see if I can get you Tel.No. etc. <BR>But you better hurry before winter sets in...otherwise you will then have to go next spring!!!! <BR> <BR>I made this trek more than 35 years ago and still remember the view ... and I have been to Bora Bora, besides many other places.... <BR>ENJOY!!! <BR>

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 08:16 AM
CK

I spent 10 days in Bhutan in early October of this year - attending festivals, visitings dzongs, and "walking through a copy of National Geographic magazine." An utterly unique experience. I travelled with a group of 12 photographers led by a professional photographer and guide (Nevada Weir) and assisted by a Bhutan expert (Susan Dey). Fabulous. It is clearly expensive - $200 to $250 a day with further upgrades from there. But its a country that you will never forget. Men and women wear traditional dress, Buddhism is a daily way of life, tourist touts are non-existant, and road uncrowded, the food acceptable. The architecure elegant. The Bhutanese speak English, are in the process of getting cable TV and internet connections and will be moving on with their lives into the 21st Century. Now is the time to see this place while it is in its early transition. <BR> <BR>Chuck from Puget Sound <BR> <BR>