Best Way to go to Hong Kong Convention Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all the helpful folks on this forum! OK -- my question this time: we booked a half-day Hong Kong city tour. The last stop is Stanley Market and then it will take us back the the YMCA Salisbury Hotel. We plan to go to the Comics Convention at the Convention Center -- is it better to catch the MTR from Stanley Market and go directly to the Convention Center (which routes?) or return to the YMCA Salisbury and catch the ferry (or MTR? which routes?) to the Convention Center? Is the Convention a short walk from where we'll get off on the ferry?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM

You can take a public bus from Stanley to Wan Chai, with a very short walk to the HK Convention Center.

Take route 260. Get off at Stop #20 "123 Gloucester Road outside Wan Chai Police Station". Use a footbridge to cross Gloucester Road - about 7-8 minute walk. Adult fare $10.6 [Do NOT take 6, 6A or 6X.]

Or see if the tour bus can drop you off somewhere along the north shore of Hong Kong Island before crossing the harbor back to Tsimshatsui. Maybe they're dropping off someone in the area anyways. Ask.

If you get back to the YMCA Salisbury, then just take the Star Ferry to Wan Chai (not the main route to Central). Your hotel is steps from the ferry, and the Convention Center is also just steps from the ferry on the other side.

But you'll waste time going cross the harbor twice.

The MTR doesn't go to Stanley.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, rkkwan! Very helpful. Maybe we'll take the ferry just to experience it! Aug. 2 is the last day of the comics convention -- haven't been to any of those but it sounds fun for my daughter. I hope they have English comis to check out, not only Chinese!

Do you know if there is a 7-Eleven near the YMCA Salisbury? Also is there construction going on around the Salisbury YMCA? I asked the hotel directly a while back, no reply! Mahalo!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:05 PM

For Comic Festival, check out http://www.hkcomicsfest.com/visitors.html

I doubt much English comics. Also, be prepared to be very crowd on the last day of exhibition.

There is 7-11 just behind YMCA and I don't realise any construction there.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Better check before you go, there are always very long queue for the tickets. It may not worth the time.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your helpful tips! Maybe I can bribe my daughter so she'll agree not to go to the comics convention. We plan to visit the science museum and the space museum also. Good to know there's a 7-Eleven near the YMCA.

The Salisbury YMCA has coin-operated washers and dryers for guests to use but someone told me there's also a laundry drop off by weight behind the YMCA Salisbury. Does anyone know the name and exact location of this place? And is it an overnight service? Just not sure if I want to spend our short Hong Kong vacation doing the laundry and standing by the washer/dryer! THANKS!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:14 PM

If you want to visit a museum or two in Hong Kong, I'd skip the Science Museum and the Space Museum. Most N. American cities have something similar.

Instead, go to the Museum of History in Tsimshatsui-East (next to Science Museum), or the Heritage Musuem in Shatin (take KCR Train), or the Museum of Tea Ware in Hong Kong Park (located in the British Colonial-style Flagstaff House). Those will give you some unique experience not found elsewhere.

I can't think of any large self-service laundromat in Hong Kong. I'm pretty sure the place you are thinking about is kind of full-service. But expect to pay pretty high price. I've always found laundry much cheaper in the US than in Hong Kong.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:02 PM

I agree with rkkwan....go to Museum of History of Hong Kong. It is fascinating and suitable for all ages. Enjoy!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I'll look into those other museums. But you know, in Hawaii, the science museum is still being built and we don't have a space museum!