Best way to get to Kyoto from IAD?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to re-plan the Japan trip we were going to take this May but, unhappily, canceled--I'm now looking at May 2012. I'd originally planned to start the trip in Tokyo, but now I'm thinking it would be better to start in Kyoto and work north as the weather gets warmer (I can't leave before May, and I want to avoid Golden Week). So I tried to construct an open jaw flight plan, but the airlines aren't cooperating--the only feasible way to fly into Osaka seems to be on Korean Air, with a 2 hr. 40 min. connection in Inchon (there's a United flight, but it leaves at 7:15 AM, ouch, and the connection in SFO is too tight, 1 hr. 36 mins.) Is Korean Air something I should even consider?

I'd hoped to avoid taking the train from Narita to Kyoto because we will have a suitcase and a carryon each and I understand the shinkansen trains aren't equipped for that much luggage. Is that right? Or would the train work just fine?

Or should I just start the trip in Tokyo after all, where we can have the bags shipped to Kyoto?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carolyn
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM

It makes much more sense to fly to/from Tokyo. It is amazingly easy to travel within Japan, and having a suitcase is not an insurmountable problem. My first choice would be luggage forwarding, just because that's so convenient, but taking the suitcase on the shinhansen is not that big a deal, either.

The KIX/Osaka airport is not the world's most convenient: as you've discovered, it doesn't have many connections from the U.S. Plus, it's a 75-minute train ride from the airport to Kyoto.

Don
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

If we can take the luggage on the shinkansen, that would probably make the most sense. I'm assuming we can't arrange for forwarding from the airport and expect two suitcases to arrive in Kyoto more or less when we do, right?
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM

You can fly (Star Alliance)UA from IAD to FRA then a 2hr 25 min LH connect to KIX. Leave IAD at 9:56p arrive KIX at 8:10 am. 21 hr 14 min total time. Cost in mid May right now on Kayak is $1720.00 r/t.

As Don says the takuhaibin service is great and easy to use. That said Mrs HT and I have traveled on the shinkansen many times with 2-26" bags and 2- 22" bags. We stow the 26" bags in the back of the last row of the shinkansen car or in the adjoining luggage racks at the back of each car. See picture of space here in luggage picture http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html

If you don't have them already invest in the 4-wheeled suitcases that you will see all the Japanese using when you get there. Samsonite and others here in the US make them too. The easiest way to travel imho. I literally roll them with one finger most of the time......

Aloha!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

hawaiiantraveler, that flight connection sounds doable--I swear it wasn't on Kayak when I looked for it just now. But Don may be right about flying into Tokyo, especially if we can take the bags on the shinkansen ( I had't realized the train ride to Kyoto from KIX was so long--and we'd end up on a train anyway. I assume a taxi would be prohibitive?)

I must check out the 4-wheel suitcases. Aren't they fairly heavy?

We're planning to use the takuhiban service in country but I didn't think it could be arranged on arrival at the airport. Am I wrong?

Carolyn
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM

I would also go to Narita and then take the train to Kyoto - last spring when I also canceled my trip I went through all the permutations - originally I was going to fly from NRT to KIX but the time of the flight from NYC was changed so I would have had a very long wait - so then my choice was either going to HND to fly to KIX or taking the shinkansen - I decided the train would be better particularly since I wouldn't need a reservation like I would on the intra-country flight...

Can't help as far as suitcases as I travel very light and carry on....
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Yes there is luggage forwarding available at NRT. That said most deliveries would be the next day to Kyoto unless you get there in the morning. See here for detailed information regarding the delivery services.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

The 4-wheeled luggage, as with most soft luggage, comes in very lightweight materials nowadays. With all of the weight restrictions being imposed by the airways.

Aloha!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

HT and Mara, thanks so much! HT, I finally found that flight (though I couldn't manage to pair it with a decent return departure time from Narita--even though the flight is out there--and the KIX flight I found cost more than your result. I don't seem to have figured out Kayak yet.) But I think I'll plan on round trip from NRT. Thanks so much, HT, for the link on the airport takuhaibin service--it would depend on when we arrive and how I end up packing, but its good to have that option. And thanks, too, for your explanation on how to stash our luggage on the train. (Mara, I do try to pack light, but there's no way I can get everything in a carryon, especially with constraints on liquids.)

Back to Kayak to look at round trip flights (not that I intend to buy yet. But for planning.) And I'll check out 4-wheel luggage, too.

Thanks again, Carolyn
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 07:31 PM
kja

My information is probably out of date, but when I went from the DC area to Japan in 2006, the "best" option I identified (based on the combination of time and cost) was to fly American from Dulles to Dallas and then to Kansai, with a return flight from Narita through Ohare to National.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM

You should consider flying into ITM, instead of KIX, connecting at either NRT or ICN. Buses from ITM for Kyoto Station every 20 minutes and takes an hour on the schedule. Closer than KIX.

NH flies from NRT to ITM at 4:45p and 5:55p, which are timed for inbound connections from the US.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Taking the train to Kyoto from NRT entails taking the Nex train into Tokyo Station(70 min) then transferring to the Shinkansen bound for Kyoto(3+hrs). Not to mention hassling the maze which is Tokyo station. You should of course take the Nex to Shinagawa Station and transfer there to the shinkansen bound for Kyoto to avoid Tokyo Station. Remember that all this travel, transfers and ticket buying, seat reservations, jr pass redemption's, etc......all have to be done at the airport just after you arrive and right after a very long air commute. Which is why I would recommend you stay with your original idea of flying open jaw IAD/KIX NRT/IAD if you can. Not knowing your itinerary also is a minus in making your decision.

Your original question regarding Korean Air. They are marvelous and have a stellar reputation. Lots of recos on this board. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them and Incheon is a nice place to over and shop/eat before your transfer to KIX. I would do this flight before doing the train from NRT to Kyoto......just another opinion

Oh and DT will love this.....you can also take the limo bus from KIX to Kyoto. They load your luggage on and off the bus for you but the commute is a little longer than the train from KIX. You can sleep along the way on the bus though,lol

Aloha!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Not likely that the limo bus travels any more slowly than the Haruka train from KIX to Kyoto (which, all that said, I'll be taking on my next trip in March).

rkkwan's suggestion of the connecting flight to ITM is a very good one. From IAD, the ANA flight to NRT is 100 times better than the United one. You can also take the NH flight as a United codeshare -- that is, it's ticketed and priced as a United flight, but you're actually flying on the ANA plane. So, you can buy a ticket for that flight either as a United flight or an ANA flight -- sometimes there's a significant difference between the two.

Don Topaz
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Lots of food for thought here. I thought we could get the shinkansen at Narita. No, I really don't want to go into Tokyo to get the train. I will check out the connecting flight to ITM but if Korean Air is really good that might be the best solution.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 05:30 AM

I've taken the Haruka Limited "Express" from Kyoto to KIX. Only did that because I don't want to risk traffic and miss the plane. If I were going from KIX to Kyoto, I'll definitely take the bus. Only "Express" train that's slower than the Haruka is the Leonardo.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking at ANA flight 1, which arrives at NRT at 3:25PM and connects to a flight into ITM leaving at 5:00. I assume that connection is reasonable, since they deliberately time it to meet the incoming flight?
rkkwan, you said there were buses from ITM into Kyoto every 20 mins--we'd arrive at ITM at 6:15; I assume they're still running, we could find them easily, and we wouldn't need a reservation, right? Where do they take you--Kyoto Station? (We could get a taxi from there easily--we're planning to stay at the Westin Miyako.
We'll get in late, but I still think heading directly to Kyoto will work best for us.
Thanks to all for your great advice,
Carolyn
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:08 PM

http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/timetable/itm/t_kyt.html
Schedule for bus from ITM to Kyoto.....
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:40 PM

MK Taxi has shuttle service right to your hotel. http://www.mk-group.co.jp/english/shuttle/
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you people are awesome! Thanks so much!
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM

Note that the train fare from Narita Airport to Kyoto would be a bit over $200.