Search

Best time to visit South East Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to visit South East Asia?

Hello,

Can anyone suggest the best time of the year to visit south east Asia. In terms of both weather and when one can expect places to be less packed with tourists.

Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM

It would really depend on where you plan to go in SEA, as the weather patterns are not the same at all between countries, and even between areas of the same country. Christmas/New Year is the peak time for just about everywhere, though, so if you want to avoid peak prices and crowds, go at another time. We have never been crowded out of anywhere even at that time of year though.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:53 AM

I quite like the rainy season. I know others don't like it simply because it's wet but I find it's a bit cooler, tourist numbers are down and everything is green and lush. So you get a bit wet from time to time, it's not exactly cold.

http://www.travelsinasia.com
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:04 AM

late october to late january is considered overall to be the best time to go, but there are exceptions in certains locals....may and june can be nice, but hotter....in may and june prices are less especially in thailand..
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:28 AM

We just finished a 3.5 week trip to SEA. (9 Jan to 4 Feb). Cambodia first Phnom Penh, Kep, Siem Reap - all warm, beautiful weather. Arrived Vietnam, Hanoi/Halong Bay end of January and it was rather chilly. Travelled down south, Hoi An (warm, but mostly overcast) then Saigon, which was rather hot.
I would say this was a perfect time to travel to SEA.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM

For those of us who can only go in the summer (at least until I can retire!), How would Vietnam and Cambodia be in June/July? What about Thailand (Bangkok and Chiang Mai)?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM

how do you say HOT!!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM

We have been twice to Thailand from Japan, and to be honest, Bangkok temperatures were a relief in comparison to what we have in Kanazawa in the summer.

I wouldn't let hot temperatures or rainy season put you off of a summer trip. This August will be our 3rd summer trip in Thailand, and we are also going to Singapore and Siem Reap. The great thing about summer is that prices are lowest of the year for hotels...our hotel budget allows us to stay top class in August, but in December/January we cannot.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Since the temps in Chicago have been sub-zero that past few days, HOT sounds good to me right now ;-)! Sounds like I won't let weather be a factor. And if we can save some money on hotels (or stay in nicer ones), so much the better.