Beijing to Xian

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing to Xian

Hi, I'll be in Beijing for 5 days in early April, and I'm wondering if a trip to Xian is feasible (3 days in Beijing, 2 in Xian?) Does anyone know the best way to get to Xian from Beijing? I heard something about a shared-bus type of transportation, but I can't find any references to it. Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM

yes, I think so...We flew to Beijing from Viet Nam for 3 days last year, and then on to Hong Kong.....Went to Xian a few years before (and then to Bali) 3 days in Beijing means you need to know where you want to be (we went to the Great Wall very early one morning before anyone...tour buses, locals, touts, everyone, arrrived. Us and the Great Wall alone. That was worth the trip by itself. We loved Xian. The Warriors are amazing (again, go when the crowds aren't) The city itself, while polluted, is so geniune. We were able to really visit with local people....One of our favorite places. Have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:27 PM

You can fly, or you can take the overnight train. The soft-sleeper (4 berths in a room) cost about the same as flying, or a little more, but save you a night of hotel, each way.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM

I think it would be best if you spend 5 days in Beijing b/c you will be literally wasting your time on the train. You won't see either of each city.

I took an overnight train and I will tell you it was nooo fun. First, it was very difficult purchasing a ticket from Beijing b/c nobody understood me. I asked every young person I saw, if they spoke English. Finally a young couple helped me buy a return ticket.

I was extremely lucky to get a sleeper on the way there b/c the tickets sell out like crazy. Most trains have 2 sleepers, Chinese have 3 and of course I was on the very top one and I couldn't sit up with my head hitting the ceiling..haha.

Coming back, it was horrible. 13 hours on a wooden bench in the middle seat, with 3 Chinese infront of me and 2 on either side. Completely packed train, people on teh floor. It was not nice....gross toilets. Only noodles to eat, couldn't move or get up...nothing.

There's so much to see in Beijing alone: Great Wall, Summer Palace, Forbidden City, Tianmen Square...the most fun was shopping in the market.

Trust me, stick to Beijing if you only have 5 days. You haven't considered jet lag, travel distance, insane amount of people, hardly anyone speaking English, etc.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM

The train is fine, as long as you use the "soft sleeper". Do not travel in any other class, or you'll have oceania's experience.

To get train tickets, you can use a travel agent or ask your hotel's concierge. You'll pay a small fee, but it'll be worth it, as oceania's post indicate.

While there are like a dozen direct trains each day between these cities, use train Z19 if possible (and Z20 for return). This the non-stop overnight. You'll sleep much better without the intermediate stops.

Again, soft sleeper (about US50 each way), and nothing else.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to cut Xian out of the itinerary, and spend the time in Beijing instead -- especially since I'm starting and ending my trip in Tokyo, so I'll already be spending alot of time getting from one place to another.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM

RAY

i would go to Xi'an. Have been to beijing twice and both times did a 2day trip to Xi'an.

The second time I took the whole family and we took it slow and had two days of doin not much including a wonderful foot massage for very few dollars and we still did everything we wanted in the 6 days we were there. JUST DON:T GO TO THW FORBIDDEN CITY and you'll ahve plenty of time to do everything PLUS fit in Xi'an. If time is an issue then sure plane it but as suggested the o/n train saves you time and money too.

I just want to reiterate what rkkwan
said in that you really need to be very very sure you are paying for the SOFT sleeper. if it sounds too cheap it probably is. If they have sold out then check out the prices of the flights since last minute prices can sometimes be very attractive. Just don;t compromise on the soft sleeper.

Unless you have a real rason to want to stay in beijing go to Xi'an.

I say that even though I believe that the whole terracotta warrior thing is the wolrd's biggest scam and sham. even if it is go anyway (IMO).

If you need help with hotels and things then let me know. Oh and Xi'an has a reputation for wonderful food. In fact I hear more about the food than I do about anything else.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM

For those worried about getting the wrong type of train tickets, you may want to write this down:

Soft sleeper = Ruan Wo (RW)
Hard sleeper = Ying Wo (YW)
Soft seat = Ruan Zuo (RZ)
Hard seat = Ying Zuo (YZ)
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM

No offence Bhuty but your response was one of the most selfish ones I've seen. Just because you have been there twice, does not mean you should tell people what they should not bother seeing because you didn't like it or they it's a scam...my god!

I don't think it's helpful or fair of you to give such biased opinion without thinking about the logistics. He only has 5 days in China and you're encouraging him to go to Xi'an in such a short amount while at the same time saying the Terra Cotta Warriors are the biggest sham/scam? At least back it up with something even if it's just your opinion. Why would you taint someone's trip like that? Just incredible.

Ray if you had more time I would say yeah go to Xi'an but because your time is limited, I think you're making the right decision. To go to Beijing and not see the Great Wall or the Forbidden City is a shame. You will not be able to enjoy either city properly.

If you book through a hotel, life will be easier but I roughed it out on my own with no prior planning or help.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:04 PM

RAY: rkkwan says its possible. I haven;t seen anyone with such a thoroough and outstanding grasp of that region before. I'd trust those comments.

If you want an idea of how to do both cities in 5 days witout pushing it then post back and I'll give you my exact intinerary. If you want photos I'll even email some to you.

oceania your an idiot.

i said even though i think its a sham that I would go anyway and thats based on having been there twice.

Your retort doesn't even have a grasp of reality. You're the one who said not to go to Xi'an.

let me quote:
Author: oceania
Date: 02/03/2006, 02:20 pm
I think it would be best if you spend 5 days in Beijing b/c you will be literally wasting your time on the train. You won't see either of each city.

Me: i would go to Xi'an

me again: you'll ahve plenty of time to do everything PLUS fit in Xi'an.

Oh, me again: Unless you have a real rason to want to stay in beijing go to Xi'an.

oh look, what this I said?
even if it is go anyway (IMO).

I clearly am suggesting that ray goes to Xi'an. I think he would greatly miss something if he didn't.

let me add to that as well. Don't go just for the warriors. There is heaps of history steeped in Xi'an and lots to see. My only dissappointment was that the ancient village was not open but I hear that by March it should be.

Even if the warriors was scientifically proven to be a sham I would suggest to go anyway just because its a bloody good scam. Its like the 400 year old fake round table (as in the knights of the round table). Even though its a fake you got to go. To take my accusation that its a scam that seriously says something for your character. I'm the only idiot in the world who wouldn't be surprised if its fake. I;m the first to admit that. Seriously just ignore my jests about it being fake cos as oceania pointed out i ahve no evidence. Talk about having a cow!

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:06 PM

maybe I had a bit of a cow too, i just hate being taken out of context
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Don't worry I didn't bother reading your drivel past you're and idiot. If you incapable of having a mature dialogue then I don't bother with the likes of you.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Also, so much for reading comprehension, I never said it was possible. Sure it's possible. Sensible? No. I said it wouldn't be time well spent.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:50 AM

arghh... too bad there's no edit button on here...that should say impossible (not possible) in my previous post.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:21 AM

There's no definitely answer here.

I think 4 days is about right in Beijing. If the OP has 5, then he can definitely think about adding a destination. Something like 3 in Beijing and 2 in Xi'an will cut some time in Beijing, and make the whole trip a lot more hurried. But it's up to him to decide if it's worth the trouble.

If one has several days in Beijing, one has to go to the Forbidden City. And if one goes to Xi'an, one has to see the Terracota Warriors. One can like those places or not, but both are unique and historical significant.

But there are alternatives to Xi'an, if the OP feels he has too much time in Beijing and want to see something else. About 4 hours by train from Beijing to the NE is Chengde. It has a very nice summer palace and 8 lama (Tibetian Buddhism) temples on the hills surrounding it. Worth an overnight trip.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

bhuty: please let me know your itinerary; that would be really helpful. I’m still undecided about Xian – I’m worried it wouldn’t give me enough time in Beijing, but my boyfriend really wants to see the Terracotta Warriors (I’m a girl, so not worried about a gay-friendly trip).
I’m getting into Tokyo March 25 and leaving April 11. The plan is to fly to Beijing late Wednesday night (March 29) and leave early Tuesday morning (April 4), which gives me five full days.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:50 AM

I thought the Terra Cotta Warriors were worth visiting. It is amazing that each warrior has a different expression and posture and there are so many of them. I think 1 packed day in Xian is an option. From Beijing take the overnight train to Xian I'd say.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM

is there an option to fly? per hobbes, taking the overnight train would be a good option as well. we spent 3.5 days in beijing and 1 full day in xi'an. neither was enought time in each city but we saw most of the main sights in each city.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM

you can definitely fly. many flights a day, and take about 1.5-2hrs. it's just that with the transfer and everything, you lose half a day each way. by taking the train, you save some time, and save the cost of the hotel. or almost the hotel, as the train probably costs a little more than the flight.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM

March 29: first thing book a driver to great wall (personally I'd go to miantanyu). a tour will cost about 350 yuan each and a car will cost between 350 - 700 depending but if you can negotiate to about 450 then good for you. a private driver gives more flexibility and if you can find two more tourist to go with you then hey...!

see this map for help http://www.travelchinaguide.com/city...beijingmap.htm

March 30: visit the following - temple of heaven, tiannemen square, lama temple and/or temple of confucious and bell and drum tower.

you will note that I have included the main things on the eastern side of the city from temple of heaven up. Use the map to work out the order which you want to see things depending on your interests etc. Near the temples are some interesting hutongs to walk through. Also, not too far from here (get a batter map) are the embassy offices etc etc. what's important about that is if you are looking for some really good non asian restaurants you have a lot to choose from plus just around from the canadian embassy is a really good foot massage place but, well you're not going to beijing for that are you (but it is sooo good).

March 31st: Great wall PLUS either MIng tombs (if you go to badaling) or the taoist temple if you go to Mutianyu (i'd go mutianyu).
The ming tombs is interesting and if you go theri as part of the tour bus you'll also be taken to a jade place (to buy expensive jade pieces which, they'll tell you is the only place you can buy proper high quality stuff cos everyelse its fake or something) plus a chinese medicine place where they'll try to sell you medicine because you are very sick from the western lifestyle you have. Its a good tour but don;t believe everything you hear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -