Beijing Shopping Hours

Apr 28th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Beijing Shopping Hours

A group of seven of us are planning a trip in June to China with just three days in Beijing. The group includes my fifteen-year-old daughter who wants to do lots of shopping. We're going to try to fit it in before and after our day trips. Can anyone tell me the hours of operation of the booths on silk alley or the pearl market? The guide books don't offer this information.
Apr 28th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Depends on which guide you buy.

Xiushui "Silk Alley" (fake clothing and bags heavily marked up in price for the unwary tourist) is open from around 8am to 5.30pm (starts shutting up from around 5pm).

Hong Qiao (the "pearl market" for low quality and fake pearls, and fake antiques) is open from 8.30am to 7pm.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html
Apr 28th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Peter. I have the Fodor's guide. I guess I'll have to get one of your books before I leave.
May 2nd, 2004, 01:01 PM

We found Xiushui 'Silk Alley' boarded up and roped off with workmen busy tearing it down or fixing it up, not sure which, when we were there on April 29. It was raining although I don't think that was the problem. Perhaps it has moved or somehow we missed the right spot, but I feel pretty sure we were there. Maybe it will be open again by June.

Yuanlong Sichou Gufen Youxiansi silk shop has moved from the address in Cadogan Beijing. We only found it by calling their phone number and having our taxi driver talk to them. The staff was extra nice but we did not buy anything as we thought their merchandise was expensive.

May 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM

Things do indeed change all the time in Beijing.

The new address for the Yuanlong is Tian Tan Lu 55, on the northeast side of Tian Tan itself. This, oddly, is the store's original location. A review of the place last year found the prices surprisingly competitive, especially given that it's on many tour group itineraries. But things do indeed change.

Try Beijing Sichou Dian (Beijing Silk Store) at Zhubao Shi 5, immediately south of Qian Men.

Peter N-H
May 2nd, 2004, 07:15 PM

Oh, and the "Silk Alley" (which has almost no silk) is going simply be covered over, move partly into a building at one side, and become a formal indoor market. Stallholders will, of course, be forced to pay higher prices as has happened at all the other markets where this has been done. The knock-on effect will be that you'll be asked Y280 instead of the current Y180 for a Y45 item when it reopens.

Peter N-H