Beijing Restaurants

Mar 5th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Beijing Restaurants

In preparation for an upcoming visit of about 6 days, I would like to gather some ideas for eating, keeping in mind that I am a single person who does not speak Chinese, but is pretty adventurous. I hope some of the expert China travelers or residents will chime in. Please give recommended dishes as well. I would like to concentrate on Chinese and SE Asian, not western places.

Based on a minimum of reading, here are some possibilities:

Quan Jude (original; south of Tianamen Square)..not sure of exact address (duck)

Made in China (Grand Hyatt) (duck)

Dadong Kaoya Dian (east side of East third Ring Road) (Duck)

Ding Ding Xiang (hot pot: rib eye beef or lamb)

Ding Tai Feng (DTF) (steamed dumplings; sweet and sour ribs; black chicken soup)

Thanks very much!

Mar 5th, 2007, 05:24 PM

ttt
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM

the duck in DaDong Kaoya Dian (means DaDong Roast Duck Restaurant) is much better than Quan Jude. Liqun Roas Duck is also good. I like this hakkanese restaurant called LaoHanZi near Beihai Park, quite nice. if you have taste bud for spicy food, you may check out FeiTengYuXiang, Gold Barn & South Beauty for sichuanese cuisine. Check out this link for addresses of the places I mentioned (and also for ideas of what happen in Beijing during your visit). http://www.thatsbj.com/directory/Restaurants/2/
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Ian

Duck: At the insistence of our daughter-in-law, we skipped all the Guide Book versions & went to a local chain restaurant called Jin Shan Cheng near the China World Trade Centre. It was a great choice. The appetizers were good - fried pumpkin & some eggplant dish - and the duck was superb. Sliced with style table-side too. Well worth the piddly 137 RMB we paid for dinner for 4.

Ian
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Just a few suggestions for someone who is "adventuresome"

Make sure everything is cooked and cooked well through, especially the chicken and seafood. This means no salads nor fruit cut and peeled by the vendor nor raw lobster "gourmet" dishes.

Drink bottled water/boiled tea

If going to a "local" restaurant, ask for another rice bowl, pour some pipping hot tea in it and dip your chopsticks, spoon, etc. in the hot tea - some of the best food is in no name places, but you have to take precautions.

Take a couple of small bottles of Purell. You'll need to "wash" your hands frequently.

Happy travels!
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great suggestions so far. I have already bought my bottle of Purell. Will stay away from suspect items, including the raw stuff.

Please keep the suggestions coming so I can make up my list.

NamNam has been suggested for Vietnamese food.

Looking forward to some wonderful eating in China!
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Oh, I would really avoid Namnam. That would be a waste of a meal.

Your other places look good and firedrago has some good suggestions. Feiteng yuxiang is supposed to be excellent for Sichuan.

Ding Ding Xiang is one of my favorites. Be sure to get the sesame sauce and shao bing buns.

DTF has a different menu than the Taipei branch. No black chicken soup here, though there is chicken soup.

Other suggestions: Bellagio for Taiwanese/Sichuan fare. Very hip and sleek, don't miss the shaved ice desserts.

Han Cang is fun and good for Hakka, on the banks of Houhai.

Noodle Loft is for Shaanxi noodles.

All the above have English menus, but that does not mean that they are tourist traps.
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful. Petitepois, you are an excellent font of information. This is just what I am looking for. Will scratch NamNam off the list.

Here is a related question: My hotel package (Peninsula Winter Escapes) allows me to have either:

RT Airport limo transfers
or
Dinner for two in the hotel restaurant Jing

Which would be the best value, given that I will be leaving Beijing by train?
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Taxi fare to/from the airport is about $10 one way. Jing is considerably more expensive for dinner. However, we enjoyed the Peninsula hutong restaurant much more than Jing!
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

But with my package the only option is Jing...or the limo transfers. I think you get the Hutong duck dinner only with a suite package...

Is there any real advantage of being picked up by limo at the airport as opposed to taking a taxi?

I would also get the transfer on the return (to train station in my case) so you think the transfers are worth $20 USD for both? Maybe I should go for the dinner..

Mar 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM

I think it mostly depends on time -- and if you want to sample all those other restaurants on your list. Personally, I would skip Jing for any of those other restaurants you mention... I've only had breakfast at Jing, but it does not strike me as a memorable Beijing experience, like the other places on your list would offer. Airport transfer is nice -- you can avoid the stress of finding a cab and communicating, always a plus after a long trip.
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Li Family Restaurant and Fangshan Restaurant in Beihai Park were our favourites when we were there some years ago. Quan Jude is the original Peking Duck restaurant but we were a little disappointed. Go if you want to say you have been. The skin of the duck we had was fatty and soft.
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

But what is the name of the original Quan Jude restaurant? (as opposed to the newer Quan Judes).

Interesting about the soft skin...that does sound very different from the Peking duck I have had in the US and in HK....but I have to try it, right?

PPois..I will ask for the transfer. Thank you.
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:40 PM

No, duck skin should be crisp and drained of fat. That's why I like the duck at Made in China -- though I try to stay out of the duck debate. A good duck features moist meat, crisp skin, and little or no fat.
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Are we talking about peeking duck or Peking duck?

Anyhoos, I like my duck with a crispy skin and a little bit of fat, plenty of slivers of green onion, and freshly made buns (not packaged tortillas).

Then, the restaurant should serve the duck meat separately and chopped into bite-size pieces.

That's duck served "two eat" style. Some restaurants will serve it "three eat" style - the final course is made with the duck bones and form a delicious soup.

Best Peking duck I've had has been on the West Coast, but the Beijing restaurants are getting better. However, there's nothing to beat the atmosphere of eating Peking duck in Beijing - it's like having pizza in Naples. Only the most original will do.

Enjoy!
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Well I would like to take a peek (and a bite out of) a Peking duck...but one that has crisp skin..just the way both of you decribed it.

The thought of the greasy, fatty duck was kind of a turn off....good to know that is not the norm! But are you saying that the duck at Quan Jude is like that..flabby??

Made in China has earned a place on the definitive list.

Mar 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM

EK -- be sure to book a table at Made in China and reserve your duck (or you can do 1/2 a duck) at the same time. Their jiaozi are also really good, as is the beef tenderloin sauteed with green peppers. Don't miss the incredibly powerful wasabi oil (you have been forewarned!)
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM

would opt for transfer and not for Jing. also, shaved ice at Bellagio restaurant were yummy (they also have a branch in Shanghai, near XinTianDi), must try. Still prefer the duck at DaDong than Made in China, just my personal view
Mar 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask about the other duck place I keep reading about:

LiQuan...opinions?

And for those of us who are linguistically challenged, here is a food site with audio pronunciations of various dishes:

http://www.beijingtraveltips.com/chi...food_guide.htm

Search this Thread