Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Beijing reasonable priced accomodations?

Feb 1st, 2005, 04:37 AM
bp
Original Poster

Please give me your suggestions and recommendations for reasonable priced accomodations in Beijing. By reasonable I am looking in the range of $50-60 USD. My wife and I will be on holiday there from September 30th through October 11th.
Thank you,
bp
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:04 AM

You have picked the “Golden Week” in China for your vacation, as October 1 is a holiday which kicks off a week-long public holiday for most chinese workers. Hotel prices will be at their highest at that time, and things will be very crowded, esp public transport like trains. Avoid places like the Summer Palace, Forbidden City, Great Wall etc on October 1 itself and that weekend in general . I would recommend that you consider postponing your trip by a week, or bringing it forward by a week or so.

I don’t have a particular recommendation in that price range. You might try the Lonely Planet guidebook for China, they have many good offerings in the budget range.
Feb 1st, 2005, 12:45 PM
bp
Original Poster

Cicerone, but week of October 1st is the only time my wife can get off of work to go on holiday.
Regards,
bp
Feb 1st, 2005, 02:49 PM

If that is the only time you can come, then you just need to work around the crowds, as cicerone says. It is the peak period and prices will be high in hotels, but at the same time, those of us who live here tend to eave the city for the week of 10/01-07. Why don't you try a serviced apartment (ascott, somerset fortune garden)or one of the many villa compounds in the city (make sure it is downtown, not in the suburbs) and see if you can get a weekly rate instead of a daily rate, which might help you save money.

Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
bp
Original Poster

Bchen,
Thank you for the suggestions on weekly apartments I will check them out. Also, thanks for the tip on staying downtown, since I was thinking about the suburbs, but figured it would be a pain to get to the main city sights if I stayed out from center of city.
Regards,
bp