Beijing Luxury Hotels Choice

Jan 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Beijing Luxury Hotels Choice

Has anyone recently stayed at the Peninsula or Raffles Hotel in Beijing? We will be visiting in February and staying in Beijing for three nights with our adult daughter.
Jan 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Hi northcarolinanan--welcome to Fodor's. It looks like you posted this on the U.S. board by accident. I have moved it to the Asia board. Plenty of helpful folks here.

If you don't receive some responses---I suggest reposting, being sure to select "China" from the list of topics.

Jan 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful tip!
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM

I've stayed at both within the last twelve months or so. Both have central locations, and both have excellent service, with The Peninsula perhaps having a slight edge due to its longevity and its success in retaining experienced staff. Both are close to metro stations.

The Raffles is the only hotel in Bejing with a certain period dignity to it (setting aside small hotels in traditional buildings), which extends beyond the public areas if you have one of the large rooms in the front building, each of which is furnished is a different style. The rooms in the rear building are also satisfactorily large, being suites in all but name (which is handy for businessmen who would like a suite, but whose companies don't allow them to book one). There can be minor difficulties in snaring a taxi, since most turn towards the Beijing Hotel, to which the Raffles is connected. The breakfast is particularly comprehensive.

The Peninsula has smaller rooms on average, but a larger range of facilities altogether, not to mention the pleasure of stretch Rolls-Royce and stretch BMW service from the airport, if you care to indulge. The concierge there is one of the very few (I'd struggle to think of another, although the staff at Raffles are eager to please) worth the name. The marble bathrooms with both tubs and glass-walled showers are top of the range.

The pan-Asia and Chinese restaurants at The Peninsula are both excellent, and the hotel has a newly installed major spa. If it's the colonial feeling of the Hong Kong property that attracts, then in fact the Raffles comes nearer to that, but in service terms the Peninsula comes as near as it's possible to find in Beijing.

The French restaurant (Jaan) at Raffles is excellent (although I'd give the edge on French to the French restaurant in the Sofitel Wanda Beijing).

But who travels to Beijing to eat French food? And really, although both of these hotels are top notch, one doesn't travel to Beijing for the hotels either, but for the sights. Be sure that either will look after you very well in the relatively brief amounts of time you spend there.

Peter N-H
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM

I just recently stayed at the Pen in Bejing and liked the location near the pedestrian mall and within walking distance of the Forbidden City and T.Sq. I was not that impressed with the room for the price-it seemed rather ordinary and since the Asia-Europe talks were on, it was quite busy with diplomats, etc. If you can get a better rate at the Hyatt, Raffles or I believe, St Regis, they were all in the same area. It just was not as impressive as the Pen in Bangkok or any of the hotels I stayed at in Shanghai. It's also attached to a very high-end mall(Chanel, etc.) and it did have a nice spa.
Jan 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM

both of them close by pedestrian street.
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Because of the pedestrian street, would it be best to ask for a room on a higher floor to obstruct the noise?
Jan 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Are people noisier than vehicles and their horns?

Regardless, neither is on Wangfu Jing Dajie (the [largely] pedestrian-only street).

One is on the side turning, Jinyu Hutong, and the other set back from Dōng Chang'an Jiē, to the west of Wangfu Jing.
Jan 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM

I am looking for a 3-star hotel to stay around 1 week in China