Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Beijing - Does anybody REALLY like Chinese Opera?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back from an Opera Presentation at the Beijing Opera House. I was fully aware of what I was to expect, so my NOT liking it did not come as a surprize.

I think it difficult that someone may actually enjoy it. On the other hand, in my youth I thought the same thing about beer.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed looking at it. Since I'm virtually tone deaf I didn't find the music that much worse than any other opera, lol.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM

I enjoyed the one I saw. But I'm not an opera lover and wouldn't want a steady diet of it.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Yes, many people really like Peking opera and won't miss it for anything. That said, If I were invited to one on my travel, I probably would decline as I know I rather use the time for something else. In order to appreciate this ancient art form, you need to know something about the mask painting, what color stand for what, who is the good guy and what is the story. Some people love the elaborate costumes, the singing, the hand gestures, the choreography.............
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM

It is painful beyond all belief, at least the "Peking Opera" that I saw. (And I am very much an aficionado of Western opera.)

In Peking opera, there is no story. There is no mise-en-scene. There is, however, a white-painted person who stands up and makes ungodly noises --- "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE," "LEEEEEEEEEEE," and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. Now I'll admit that an ear accustomed to Western tonality might not instantly take to Eastern music, and the instruments on which it's played.

But this stuff was beyond the pale.

I saw it in the Opera Garnier in Paris, stuck in the middle of a row. It seemed like the first act went on for days. Never was I so happy to leave at intermission.

(Though the Chinese movie that came out 10 years ago or so about some men who trained to be Peking Opera singers wasn't bad. Anyone see it/recall the name?)
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Rizzuto are you talking about "Farewell My Concubine?". If so, I think that film is a bit older than you think, as I believe it came out around '93 or '94.

I think Peking Opera is..perhaps an "acquired taste" for lack of a better term. It reminds me of Morticia singing in the old "Addams Family" TV series.

BC
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM

"Farewell My Concubine" is a very intense and powerful movie with the late Leslie Cheung. Highly recommend it though you may want to know more about it before watching.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Ah, right, Farewell My Concubine. Agreed, not a standard Hollywood feel-good movie.

The only thing I knew about the movie was that Gong Li was in it; that was enough for me.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM

I love Chinese cinema, but have never seen an opera. What's not to like about Gong Li??? "Raise the Red Lanterns" -- superb!

When we were in HK two years ago, we didn't see an opera, but I would have liked to do so.

Check out "Lust, Caution."
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM

I thought it was interesting. The costumes and makeup were more of a highlight for me than the music. Fortunately, I only had to sit through about 1.5 hours which was enough for me to get the idea of what it was.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

If I am not mistaken, Farewell My Concubine referred to the love between a male diplomat envoy with the male opera singer who performed female parts.

In a closer examination of the tickets, it does seem to me that the female part of the opera we went to last night was also performed by a man. If indeed it was a man, he (or should I say she?) was very, very delicate, attractive and feminine.

Is it possible that women still do not act in the Chinese Operas?

If that was indeed a man who performed yesterday, I really need not wonder how it would be possible for a westerner male to have a crush on she..., he..., well... whatever...
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM

> What's not to like about Gong Li???

Her politics.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Are we talking about Farewell My Concubine or M. Butterfly?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM

The one jfcarli has written of is indeed M Butterfly and is <i>not</i> Farewell My Concubine.

BC
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Hmmm, the Opera performance I went to in Beijing had a storyline to it and I am pretty sure there were women performers. I will admit that the singing was not to my liking, however the makeup and costumes were interesting. I fell asleep during part of the performance (it had been a long day at the Great Wall and Ming Tombs Sacred Way), but I woke up just in time to see the female lead character using martial arts skills to fend off swords and other weapons that were being thrown at her. I found that part to be quite entertaining. I was glad I went and I might try it again!

Sara
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM

It seemed that the old people will love it more.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Traditionally, men play all of the female roles in CHinese opera.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Kathie typed: <i>Traditionally, men play all of the female roles in Chinese opera.</i>

Well, maybe to the extent that men traditionally play all of the female roles in Shakespeare.

The performer I saw in the Peking Opera (in Paris) about 20 years ago was, to a reasonable certainty, female. She was interviewed on French TV (might have been <i>Apostrophe</i>, though I can't guarantee that), and, in her street clothes and maquillage, she very clearly presented herself and appeared to be female.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Article in yesterday's NY Times about Chinese opera:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/ar...eony.html?_r=1
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Men played all of the roles in Chinese opera until the 1930s. Chinese operas are still sometimes staged with all male actors (as per the example above), but now more often, women play the female roles,

http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/ci...nese_opera.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -