BedSupper Club

Mar 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

BedSupper Club

This is my first post, after 6 months of gathering valuable info for an upcoming cruise from Hong Kong to Athens.

I just placed a reservation online with Bed. They have quoted 1,650 Baht for Fri/Sat nights. At $42 person it seems steep. After reading a couple of negative threads I'm having some doubts. Is it really good?
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I was recently at Bed in BKK on a Wednesday night and paid $55 for a 3-course meal, 1 bottle water and 2 drinks (Cuba Libres). The food was good but not outstanding and the drinks were OK; I actually asked the waiter when I ordered the 2nd one to make it stronger and it was about the same. For BKK standards, it's actually a bit expensive.

The place it's nice but I was expecting a lot more after the reviews I read on this board.

I'm from Miami and we have a Bed Supperclub in Miami Beach, which is bigger and nicer than the one in BKK and also, I have been to nicer and better places in Miami, NY and LA. So it wasn't so much of a great deal to me.

I must admit than on the outside, the place is different as it looks sort of like a plane from 2020.

The music on the main room was Latin that night and house on the other small room, which was pretty good. The place was crowded.

I hope this helps.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM

You read some negative threads? Please fill me in on those. Bed is really good - the food and entertainment are excellent - everything we had when we were there was delicious and well-presented. As a bonus, the people-watching was the best. It IS very expensive by Bangkok standards, but unlike some other places, the value is there.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM

I went on a week night, the price is a bit less. The food was very good, but it was western (they call it fusion, but I would call what I ate western). The enternainment is a bit hit or miss, some people have reported wonderful entertainment, what we had was ok. We enjoyed it, it was an interensting experience. I feel no compulsion to return.

If you are on a cruise, you may only have one dinner in bangkok. If I had to choose one dinner, I'd opt for The China House (at the Oriental Hotel) for their incredible Peking Duck or I'd opt for Thai food at MahaNaga.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I didn't read any negative threads, on the other hand, they're all positive.

The food was indeed artfully presented and good in taste. I had kanguroo (or kangaroo) for the first time and it was well prepared, tender and tasty.

The entertainment must be different for others for being Latin but it isn't for me as we have of lot of that in Miami. I chose to go that night because the DJ is Cuban and so am I. I was curious to meet a Cuban living in BKK.

As I said, imo, it was a good experience but nothing I've never experienced before. I had a fun time tough, especially in the house-music room because it's more the kind of music I like.
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for the input. The negative reviews were in the restaurant section of destination guide.

Since there have been so many positive reviews of other restaurants I may rethink this or add another one, we have 2 nights in Bangkok.
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM

I don't know about the reviews, but this place really doesn't appeal to me. I live in L.A. and like to travel to get away from the trendy scene.
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:57 PM

for a club i would call the food excellent....the place is unique imo, but i am unaware of any in usa....

a good dinner in bkk is $42 anyplace 5 star and this is 4.5*
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Bob, a 4 or 5 star dinner of western food may be $42 per person in Bangkok, but there is fabulous Asian food to be had for much less. The Peking Duck at the China House is 5 stars ($44 for 2 people), and the 4-5 star Thai food at many places is much less. I'd nominate Mahanaga for excellent Thai food, and I had fabulous Thai food at Face (Lanna Thai) although Gloria did not.

The "Bed" concept is not new. I remember one in Amsterdam, I believe, at least 20 years ago (eeek - now that I think about it, it may be closer to 30 years ago, which means it's old enough to be new again!). Someone also posted that there is a Bed in Miami. So while it's unusual, it's not unique.
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:13 PM

PS If it were me, and I had only two dinners in Bangkok, I'd be eating Asian food. I think there are others on this board who would vote for Bed as one of only two dinners in Bangkok.
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM

There are so many wonderful places to eat in BKK. It would be hard to pick just TWO of them. But I, for one, would probably pick Bed Supper Club for one of my nights in BKK. I've been there four or five times now, and always have gotten a terrific meal, whether ordering off the menu or on the "surprise" menu night. The entertainment has been different everytime. It's always a pleasant evening for me.
Carol
Mar 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM

Hi
Been to Bed and don't really want to go back. The food is OK - well pretty good seeing as it's mass produced - and the staff are all v. pretty and handsome. But everyone's wacking out their cameras to show that you're eating on a bed... the ents when I went were just a bit of dancing really. I don't know... if I only had 2 nights in Bangkok I'd stuff my face with Thai food, not dodgy fusion (dodgy fusion includes Mahangna - but that's my personal opinion).
Mar 14th, 2006, 04:36 AM

I enjoyed Bed but I would not put it in the top dining experiences in bangkok.On the other hand,my friend put it squarely at number 1.

My hands down favorite restaurant is China House at the Oriental. No competition.
Mar 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Reading this with interest as even with the great reviews Bed gets here, it is not one we had put on the list to go to. I'm with LA on this - going on holiday to get away from the trendy London scene
Mar 15th, 2006, 03:24 AM

So many wonderful Thai restaurants in this city and you visit for a couple of nights and want to go to a western, trendy club? I would rethink that, go to somewhere like Baan Kanita on Soi Rumrudee or Sathorn Road or to a more down to earth restaurant called condoms and cabbages on Sukhumvit Soi 12. Eat Authentic Thai food in great environment (Baan Kanitha is more upper class) and you wont regret it. Otherwise head to China Town and eat great Seafood on the street corner. Evem the Sheraton on Sukhumvit does a great BBQ Seafood Buffet by the pool. If you are feeling less adventorous try Basil and the Sheraton on Sukhumvit or the wonderful Thai restaurant at the Marriot on Sukhumvit, they also have traditional dancing. any noodle stall or BBQ station on the side of the road will provide true thai food that is GREAT
Mar 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

So many wonderful recommendations!
I am definately rethinking this. With all the great info I've collected on Bangkok from these threads, I'm already looking forward to a longr visit. The cruise is a nice introductory sampler to Asia but I know it's going to be such a tease for many of the ports.
Thanks again!
Mar 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM

i would not describe bed as western style at all...it is unique...and the food is quite good, albeit pricey for bkk
Mar 16th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Bed may not be western but it certainly isn't "asian". It's international trendy and the food is fusion. The first bed was in Amsterdam so it;s not an asian concept.
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I live in South Florida and can attest that there has been a Bed restaurant here for many years. I only had a drink at the BKK location, so I can't speak to the food issue. However, I agree with the posters who say there are better places to spend your time and $ in BKK. I prefer to look for places that are uniquely thai or asian while in BKK. Bed does not IMO meet this standard.
Mar 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Well, I'm going to take my chances. I've just made a reservation for Bed for May 31. Since we'll be in Bangkok for 5 nights (actually 6 since our flight home doesn't leave until about 1am) there will be plenty of eating opportunities. This will be our 5th time in BKK so it's time to try something new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO