Beach in November: Samui or Phuket?

Oct 28th, 2000, 11:40 PM
Mitch

Beach in November: Samui or Phuket?

Making my first trip to Thailand at the end of Nov / beginning of December, and I'm having a terrible time deciding which beach area to visit. I was leaning toward Samui, but several people have suggested that Phuket would be better (because of Samui's weather). Any thoughts?

How much of a problem would it be to find good last-minute accomodations if I go to one place, don't like it, and then go to the other?

Thanks.

Oct 29th, 2000, 02:03 AM
Roger

Your lean is in the correct direction. The weather in both places is the same (they are not far apart). AND - Kho Samui is much more fun, the food is better, there are less people, PLUS you are on one of the 10 most lovely beaches in the world. Have fun!

Nov 19th, 2000, 08:20 PM
Benny

Mitch,

According to the locals, best time to be in Phuket is between October to March.(After the monsoons)
Our favorite beaches are Kata Noi, Kata, Karun Beaches.
But accomodation depends on your budget. You may like to pre-book for the first two nights via the internet before you arrive. This way you can settle down and get to know the place better before you start looking for alternative accomodations. (But don't try this in Jan - Feb when it is at the height of the peak season).

We have not been to Samui, but our friends say that the best time to go to Samui is around May.

Cheers...Ben

Nov 20th, 2000, 07:17 AM
Bruno

Hello Mitch

i would recommend for you either Khao Lak (1 hour from Phuket) or Krabi (Reiley Beach)
Reason: Phuket is overrun by tourists
and in Samui is the rainy season just starting.
We just came back from Khao Lak, where we had a good time.
I wish you nice holdays
Bruno

Nov 24th, 2000, 07:57 AM
CK

I would echo the recommendation on Kata Noi beach in southern Phuket. Basically one large (low-rise) hotel (Kata Thani) and one guesthouse, a number of small restaurants, a couple of tour companies, and a long expanse of beach. Yet, you're only a 15-minute walk to Kata Beach with more options (or a 5 minute tuk-tuk ride to even more dining options). Real sense of privacy and being away, at least compared with other spots on Phuket.

Chuck from Puget Sound