Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Basic question on Bangkok Air web booking

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're currently sitting here looking at one-way flights to Siem Reap in January. We don't need any other flights from Bangkok Air, so we decided against the Discovery Pass.

Where we're running into a question is on the website. Does anyone know the logic of a 1 year fare and a 6 month fare? The price difference is not an issue, but they show as full on the 6 month column, yet the 1 year column seems bookable.

Can't figure out if the plane is full or not! Is this really just a fare pricing structure thing - so many seats available at this price, etc. If the choices were refundable vs non-refundable, that I'd understand. Is it ok to book the 1 year?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I believe the 1 year/6 months is the validity period of the ticket. Actually click on the 1 year/6 months headings and you'll find that information, as well as the refund policy.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM

As above says, it's the validity period. So if for example you can't happen to make the flight you book on that date, you can change the date to either 6 months or 1 year after that.

It's strange that the 6 month fare is so full...unless maybe you hit on a bank holiday of some kind. Maybe it's all bought out by agencies. If the price difference isn't great, I'd just book the year.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:38 PM

isn't the 6 month fare the cheaper?? if so that is why it is full...just like any carrier...the cheapies sell quickly
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, yep it's just the duration of the ticket in case you need to change it. The price wasn't very different, so no problems.

We were just confused as to what the length of changeability had to do with whether the seats were all full or not. lol. I wasn't sure that it didn't have some significance rather than just being essentially a fare class. But we just finished booking the 1 yr and we're all set. First trip to Asia, greenhorn questions and all that. Thanks again guys.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I've wondered about the same thing--seems confusing . I don't recall seeing an indication of the plane being full as you've mentioned.

Is there any advantage in booking on the web over calling the airlines direct or an agent in the USA or an agent in Thailand? It doesn't appear to be any less in cost. I 've received $250 +tax quote from agent in this country RT Bangkok / Siem Reap.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

MHRS, What we were seeing was, on the day we were traveling, two columns for the different flight times that day. The two columns were 1 year fare and 6 month fare. On the particular flight we wanted that day, the 6 month fare was not available but had been the week before. There wasn't a huge differential in price. Best I can tell, this is Bangkok Air's way of implementing fare classes without all of the Y and K type designations.

Not sure if there's a difference between calling or booking over the web. We just booked the one way to Siem Reap on the web site and paid a couple bucks more for the 1 year that was available.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM

FYI - just booked our Discovery Airpass with Bangkok Air. To and from Siem Reap, with another inter-country flight (to meet their 3-leg minimum), was $275, including taxes. Just the Siem Reap roundtrip (so no Airpass) was $273.

- Pam
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM
kml

what's the best way to book flights with Bangkok Air to get the discovery pass deal? couldn't do it online...
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 04:52 AM

Call their 1-800 number from the website. You can make reservations with them on the phone, though only the first leg of the trip needs to be confirmed, you can make the rest while you're in Thailand. They'll send you an e-mail with the confirmation and cost, after which you have to send a money order or cashier's check to their closest office (NYC most likely). They ask for a $15 fee to send your tickets back to you via airmail. Overall a bit of a hassle but worked smoothly for us.

FYI, our price was based on an anticipated itinerary - RT to Siem Reap and one flight BKK - Chiang Mai. We've had others say you can get a return trip from CM for ~$20, less than that $50+ Bangkok Air charges.