Basic Info on Thailand for Sept Trip??

Jul 30th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Basic Info on Thailand for Sept Trip??

Hi Everyone - I am considering a 10 day trip to Thailand at the end of September. I am at the very beginning of my research on this and unfortunately Fodors online only has a section on Bangkok. Is the end of Sept a good time to visit Thailand? What are the main areas to see? Also, with the tsunami not too long ago, is it a good time to visit or are many of the beach and tourist destinations too devastated to make it wortwhile. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!! - Laura
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Laura
I am also in the process of scheduling my September trip to Thailand. This will be my 7th or 8th trip there. I have been during June/July/Aug several times, Dec/Jan twice, and one time in February. This will be my first Sept trip. I'm not going to let possible rainy weather dampen my plans. I've had rain in Bangkok and also on Phuket more than once when I've visited. It hasn't stopped me from doing what I want to do.

The tsunami was bad, yes, but I think you will find that the areas that were hit have done a good job of rebuilding and are offering some great deals in order to bring back the tourist dollars. I am not sure if I will make it to Phuket, but would like to during my upcoming 2-week visit.

Things to see in Bangkok would include the Royal Palace, some of the famous wats (temples), life along the river and small canals, night market at Suan Lum, many fabulous restaurants, etc. Shopping in Bangkok is absolutely some of the best you will find anywhere in the world.

If you only have about 10 days, I would try to spend my time in BKK and one island, OR BKK and Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai area in the north. You will get lots of advice on this forum. People are very good about sharing their experiences. Just ask!

Enjoy your trip.

Carol
Jul 30th, 2005, 11:47 AM

You should definitely go to Thailand. It's magical. With 10 days, you can do Bangkok and either the North or a Beach in a fairly relaxed fashion. You could do all three, but would lose 3 1/2 days travelling. Bangkok is a unique city. While it can be hectic, you can stay in a fabulous hotel for much less than in the US or Europe. This can provide a very restful base from which you can sally forth. The river hotels are superb. Check this forum for way more information than you could ever want. In the North with 5 days you could see Chiang Mai and another place, Chiang Rai or Mae Hong Son. Depending on your inclination towards outside activities, you can choose all sorts of treks, elephant rides and sightseeing. Buy a guide book and page through it. Anything that strikes your fancy should guide your choices. Remember, you can pretty much arrange everything when your there or if you're so inclined, you can do it ahead of time. The tourist infrastructure is very user friendly.
Jul 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!! I will definitely be checking out the guidebooks soon, but just trying to get some initial feedback. Would you recommend travelling to Thailand in late September? We are flexible, so if there is a better time of year to travel, we will wait. It will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for us, so I'd rather do it at the optimal time. Thanks!!
Jul 31st, 2005, 01:44 PM

Generally, the best time to travel to Thailand is December and January. Of course, that's teh highest season with the highest rpices. Second choice would be November or early February.
Aug 1st, 2005, 06:37 AM

Sept is not a great time to travel as it can be wet esp around Phuket etc. The Samui side is drier at that time. My fav time is Jan/Feb, the weather is lovely then. Was there this year three weeks after the Tsunami, apart from Phi Phi, Koh Lak and along from Patong, everything was pretty well up and running then.some rebuilding going on in other areas but not problem at all..so I would not worry about that.
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:33 AM

We've had very good weather in our late November/early December trips to Thailand. The high tourist season is not yet under way, but it was still relatively "cool", i.e., 90's F. It was as always quite humid.
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:49 PM

what time in sept. were you thinking of??...the later the better...