Special Occasion restaurant Bangkok

Jul 31st, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Special Occasion restaurant Bangkok

HI

I have read lots of information already, but I thought I would ask anyway. Could anyone reccomend a restaurant for a special occasion in Bangkok(wedding anniversary). I will be a long trip with my husband, so cannot afford anything too expensive, or anything that has a dress code. After reading other posts I was thinking of the blue elephant, the restaurant looks a bit funky but not too expensive.

thanks
Jul 31st, 2005, 11:20 PM

Blue Elephant is not bad, although the food there can be rather bland for true lovers of Thai cuisine.

You might consider a rice barge dinner cruise, which can be romantic and not too expensive. Another option would be the restaurant on top of State Tower (sorry, forget its name). The view is fantastic, if it's not raining.
Jul 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM

Blue Elephant has a marvellous setting but I found the food so-so.

The one on top of the State Tower is Scirroccos - I've heard it's expensive though and usually booked out on a weekend.

I like Suppatra River House which has fantatstic food right by the river.
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:39 AM

Bed Supper Club is a fantastic option. You will find lots of information on this very unique dining option in BKK if you do a search. The price (without beverage) is 1090 bahts per person for a 3-course set meal, with several options for each course. It is a wonderful restaurant, with excellent service and superior meals.
Carol
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:02 AM

Another vote for Bed Supper Club. Blue Elephant is ok but nothing special in my estimation. Bed Supper Club is.

Aug 1st, 2005, 07:57 PM

third vote for bed....but i also would add in a few more places...you do mention dress code....you probably can't wear shorts and tank tops to any of these places...slacks and decent tops would be fine...

biscotti in the four seasons hotel--italian

any of the river front hotels for their evening buffet...

le delat indochine, soi 23, sukhumvit rd...vietamese...

sirrocco on the state building is very expensive and if a rain storm comes up your evening can be ruined...

6 degrees on convent rd--italian...

tongue thai opposite OP place in back of the oriental hotel--thai...small and intimate..reasonable too...

i view the blue elephant as mostly an expense account type place with tour groups and foreign business men...

all of these would be under $50 with a glass of wine or a couple of beers
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

All the tips are very useful, I will do a bit more investigating
Aug 1st, 2005, 09:56 PM
WSL

Hands down; no question about it: China House, the restaurant at the Oriental, located not in the hotel proper, but just outside the main hotel in a beautiful little white house. The restaurant is white inside and out. It is not your typical Chinese restaurant--with all the kitsch--but an elegant place with some of the most fantastic Chinese food you will ever sample. A wonderful venue with incredible service. They make you feel very special. (When I am in Bangkok, I have lunch at China House almost every day--incredible dim sum--and try to get there for dinner at least once each trip. Hope you enjoy it.

WSL
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:24 PM

Oh wow, china house - went on saturday for dim sum and it was awesome........some of the best dim sum I've ever had
Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:04 AM

China House is actually probably my favorite restaurant in bangkok. The dim sum and peking duck is superb. They do not have a dress code and I have often seen people in shorts there at lunch. However, I think slacks would be more appropriate for dinner. I didn't mention it before because I wasn't in the mood for one of Bill's rabid and off base anti-Oriental comments. Another good option at that hotel would be their riverside buffet. If you choose any of the restaurants at the Oriental let them know it's your anniversary when you make the reservation.