Bangkok veterans off the beaten track suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our 5th winter in BKK.We spend 2 weeks in BKK every January. We need advice on other unique places to visit.

Loved our hours at the National Museum last year, one of our favorites. Have done Grand Palace, Wat Po and Jim Thompson House twice. Wat Arun and Royal barge Museum were great. Ko Krit was not impressive.

Discovered free Sunday sunset concerts in Lumpini Park last year. Will return.

Highlights of previous trips have been M.R. Kukrit Home and the out of town property of Prasart Museum in Bang Kapi (appt required, approx 30 min from BKK) well worth the trip.
Suan Pakkad property was interesting. Loved Anatana Throne Hall, women must wear long skirt or rent a sarong. The very hard to find Queen Savang Vadhana Museum (women wear sarong and cover shoulders) behind the Siam Kepinski Hotel is worth a short visit.

National Gallery is at the top of the list this year as we spent too much time at the National Gallery last year. BACC is a must every year as well as JJ market. Discovered Asoke Market at the University last year (Thursday morning) and will return.

Roof top bars: forget Sirocco (Lebua) and Vertigo (Banyan Tree), much too crowded. Looking for other rooftop venues.

We have BTS and MRT cards we recharge. Love the river taxi but are always confused about the pier to get off.

We love art, architecture, history and street food. "Eat Me" our favorite regular restaurant, Cabbages and Condoms OK. "Bed Supper Club" not for us.

Reaching out to all BKK veterans for suggestions for their favorite experiences.

Thank you, Brenda
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 10:23 PM

This website breaks the Piers down withbinfo for what's nearby each one...

http://www.bangkok.com/attraction-wa...pier-guide.htm
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 05:44 AM

Octave and Above 11 for sundowners. Octave in particular as it is the only building of that height in the area and thus has a true 360 panorama. Not to mention the chivas regal based cocktails and yakitori are epic.

The klongs for a quieter city vibe.

The aeroplane graveyard:-

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...ard-in-bangkok

The Michelin starred streetfood shack that sells crab omelettes:-

http://danielfooddiary.com/2015/12/13/raanjayfai/
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:26 AM

We really liked the "death museum" of museum of medicine but check it first in google because it's not for the faint of heart. It also takes time to get there if you use public transport.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:55 AM

I follow Mark's Youtube vlogs/blogs. You might find something new and interesting to do by reading them. I'm also signed up with him and get extra information on things around Bangkok. The other day I had on his black, Migrationlogy T-shirt and was getting into an elevator at EM Quartier when a young couple started chatting with me about my T-shirt and how they also follow his vlogs/blogs. That T-shirt has been a real conversation starter. Even Thais have commented.

https://migrationology.com/travel-gu...gkok-thailand/

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 05:21 AM

Mark is great - I get his email updates too. He actually has a video on Youtube of the crab omlette lady I suggested!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 07:04 AM

last week we tried Suhring, a modern German place tucked away off of Sathorn not far from Issaya Siamese Club and J'Aime (lunch special) both of which are also worth a splurge visit.

Suhring blew us away. We sat at the "kitchen counter" in ordr to have a bird's eye view of the "action". 12 course set meal, with beef upgrade, was just the right amount of food.

this whole corner of the city is simply amazing---food, inns, hotels, etc.

the rooftop at the new Avani Hotel, located behind the Anantara Riverside Hotel is amazing.

After not having been to Sky Bar for a number of years we took our kids there a couple of weeks ago---A COMPLETE DISASTER... Will never return. This reminds me, I must write a TA report.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:11 PM

"RM67 on Jan 8, 18 at 9:21pm
Mark is great - I get his email updates too. He actually has a video on Youtube of the crab omlette lady I suggested!"

Yeah, he is really excellent at his job. Did you see his new Youtube video posted on Dec 28,2017? In that one he gives us all a tour of his rented house in Bangkok, with his wife, child, and in-laws and his home office where he puts all of those vlogs together. Interesting. He posted that one on the day that I arrived here to Bangkok.

I saw the video on the crab omelet lady's place. She's the only street-food type place to get a Michelin star.

My stomach needs a rest at the moment. But, I still have Paste to go to (Gaysorn Mall up the street) , Punjab Grill on Suk soi 13, and back to Basil at Asoke. It's been some years since I was last at Basil.

When the stomach needs a rest, I then walk the 5 minutes to Biscotti, like yesterday. They know me very well there. LOL!

On Sunday, Thai friends invited me with their family and housekeeper to Provence Restauarant (Thai food) on the bottom level of Gaysorn Mall. Really good food. The restaurant used to be in the Peninsula Mall on Rajadamri, across from Anantara Siam Hotel (Formerly Four Seasons).

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:45 PM

I also like The Commons in Thonglor, Guenmai - not very Thai admittedly, but great coffee, eggs, pastries, bbq meat and craft beer in one of BKKs more upmarket/unusual food malls.

I don't know where Mark W puts it all - he's skinny as a rake! I will check out his house tour
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 06:00 PM

Siam Society lectures may be of interest...

http://www.siam-society.org/lectures/le_index.html

just a few minutes walk from Asoke Station.