Bangkok to Singapore by Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done this? How long did you take? Price ranges?
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked at seat61.com?
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 01:24 PM

www.seat61.com/thailand

Train times, fares, photos and practical information for train travel between Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Bangkok. ..
www.seat61.com/Malaysia

Years ago did the other way from Singapore was nice beat the pants off bus but not that much cheaper than econoair booked in advance.A pretty long slog for be better part of a couple
of days with stops.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Airasia.com my fav SIN BKK theses days

promos from $60 one hour and a half...

But for an EXPERIENCE you cannot beat train...
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:40 AM

I have done this run from Bangkok to Singapore. The train I used left Bangkok late in the evening and arrived in Hat Yai (Thailand) the following day in the afternoon. You can overnight in Hat Yai if you want a place to stop. Because of scheduling I got a ride to Penang/Butterworth. I spent the night in Butterworth. (I had to meet a departing flight out of Singapore.)

Next morning around 7 the train went from Butterworth to KL. Then from there to Singapore. Arrived in Singapore around 8 pm. On the Thai part of the ride there were free snacks and beverages. They also handed out some thin blankets. On the Malaysian portion of the ride I used first class. Those seats were something like business class on a plane. No free beverages but the dining car was not too expensive for chicken meals and drinks.

The train can be chilly at times so have a sweater or long sleeve shirt handy. Some of your own snacks might come in handy. At times the ride was quite noisy and boring. (There was a banging noise all night/day long from Bangkok to Hat Yai.) Bring some books to read during the ride. There is more room on a train than a bus but the bus ride is a little faster. You have more room in the toilets on the train than the bus.

I didn't mind the ride, just like I don't mind flying providing I have some novels to read. Except for some short stretches where the scenery is interesting most of the time you are traveling in darkness and passing by the backyards of dumps, factories, apartment buildings and occasionally farms.

The ride is okay but don't expect too much of it. There are some discount airlines that may not be too far off in price. But some of the discount airlines also have lower baggage allowances where you pay for being overweight.
http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

Up to you.