Bangkok subway system

Search

Bangkok subway system

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok subway system

I have been to Bangkok many times over the years but have not been since the skytrain and subway have been constructed. I've seen lots of references to the skytrain on this forum but no-one seems to talk about the subway. Is this a feasible option for getting around or is there any reason it doesn't seem to rate a mention? Thanks.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM

It's feasible and easy, but doesn't go to many places tourists would want to go like the skytrain does, so you won't see it mentioned much by tourists. If it goes where you want to go, then of course it's a good way to get there.
http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/th/home.asp
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Just to elaborate on the above, one oend of one skytrain route is at the river, and from there you can easily get to the Grand Palace, Wat Po and Wat Arun by river. Along the routes are stations within walking distance of Suan Pakkard, Phyathai Palace and Siam Society.

The subway can get you to the Hualompong train station, Queen Sirikit convention center and also Siam Society. The subway is also my preferred method for getting to Chatuchak weekend market, since one station comes up right in the market. It can also get you to the Lumpini night bazaar.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM

The subway is mostly for locals and local routes. There are three stops that connect to the skytrain area. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM

the subway is fabulous but as said above goes to very few places that tourists wish to go....unfortunately the fare system is not interchangable with the skytrain...are they from outer space??? good change over from one system to the other at the asoke station however....subway stations are air conditioned which is nice...

great to get to nite market by the way
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...my curiosity is satisfied now and thanks for a couple of good suggestions. Cheers!