Reload this Page >

Bangkok, Singapore, Bali, HongKong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:24 PM
Susan

Has anyone taken this trip with Smartours.com? My husband and I are thinking of the September trip - what do you think? We have never been to Asia before and are looking for an introduction.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:22 PM
Susan

O.K. - I will listen to any advice on any tour - just looking for feedback. HELP

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:47 AM
Lynn

My partner and I did a similar trip (travelling from the UK) five years ago. It was our first trip to the Far East. Although we loved most of the region, and have returned twice since then, I honestly could not recommend doing this intinerary due to the sheer amount of flying involved. We under-estimated the amount of time we would need to spend travelling to and from airports, sitting in departure lounges and queuing in immigration each time we landed in a different country. We did the trip in 3 weeks so if you have longer to spend in each country, it might be more bearable. <BR><BR>Also if you are planning to travel in September, do take a careful look at the weather statistics for these countries in September - I think you'll find that most of them will be very wet with high humidity. Generally speaking, December to March is the best time to visit the region, weather-wise.<BR><BR>As far as the countries themselves were concerned, we liked Thailand best (wonderful sightseeing, especially the Grand Palace in Bangkok, great food and shopping, lovely people) and Bali least (does not live up to the hype in my opinion, island is over-developed, we were constantly pestered by hawkers and beggars and could not walk anywhere in peace).<BR><BR>Hotels all over the Far East are generally of an excellent standard, especially when you consider the cost of a 4 or 5 star hotel compared to what you would pay in the US or the UK.<BR><BR>If you decide to go ahead with a trip to the Far East, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but my advice would be to choose one or two countries and spend longer in each.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:33 AM
fiona

Lynn<BR>we are travelling to Hong kong, Bangkok and Koh Samui over 17 days. I have wondered about the travelling time between countries. We do have 8 days in Koh Samui at the end so hopefully that will give us a chance to rewind!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:44 AM
Susan

Dear Lynn,<BR>Thanks for the advice - this trip is only for 2 weeks so it would be a LOT of airport time. I have a good friend who recruits for a college in Asia - she agrees with you - Thailand is her favorite country.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Lynn

Fiona<BR><BR>Your trip sounds much more manageable, with only two countries involved. Domestic flights within Thailand are much quicker than waiting around for international ones. Be prepared for a scrum when boarding a plane out of Hong Kong - queuing is obviously not part of Chinese culture. My partner who is 6' 2" was sent flying by an elderly Chinese lady who couldn't have been more than 4' 6"!<BR><BR>Hong Kong is a very interesting place - I particularly enjoyed the Peak Tram and the Star Ferry, and we also did a day trip to the former Portugese colony of Macau by hydrofoil. This is easy to do independently, but you need to take your passport. The pace of life in Hong Kong is frenetic and I've never heard so many mobile phones in use in my life.<BR><BR>I haven't been to Koh Samui but have heard good things about it. I have visited Bangkok twice and absolutely love it. Yes, the traffic is bad and pollution can be a problem (worse at some times of the year than others), but the fantastic sights are well worth it. As well as the Grand Palace, the temples such as Wat Po are spectacular and we also enjoyed a half day Rice Barge trip on the river ( you travel down river and along some of the Klongs by long tail speedboat and back on a converted rice barge). The price of sightseeing trips in Thailand is incredibly reasonable whether you book through your tour operator, your hotel or independently through a local agent. Genuine Thai massage (not the sleazy kind!) is quite an experience - at times you wonder whether you'll get out alive but afterwards you'll feel great. <BR><BR>I wish I was going again this year but my partner hates long haul flights and refuses to go outside Europe this year!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:06 AM
Fiona

thanks for all the information Lynn! I can sympathise with your partner as I HATE long haul flights. However its a means to an end and you just have to put up with it! It takes me several days to get back to normal at the end of a holiday.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Lynn

Fiona<BR><BR>If you have problems with jet lag, and/or sleeping on long haul flights, you might be interested in a tip I got from an English guy who was working in Thailand. You can buy almost any kind of medication over the counter from a pharmacy in Thailand, without a prescription. He recommended Xanax, which I believe is similar to Valium. We bought a small supply (cost next to nothing) and they worked like a charm. I can get 5 or 6 hours sleep on a long flight which is impossible otherwise. They don't knock you out to the extent that you couldn't wake up or function if you had to (like in an emergency) and when you wake up you don't feel 'hung over'. I use them very sparingly, just when I travel as I can never sleep on planes or in hotels for the first couple of nights, despite ear plugs.<BR><BR>Before I get reprimanded by the self righteous brigade, yes I know all about not being supposed to take medication that isn't prescribed for you, but I' afraid if it comes down to a choice of feeling like a zombie from lack of sleep or feeling halfway human after a 14 hour flight, there's no contest. I'm sure there is a small risk of side effects from any kind of medication (whether prescribed for you or not) but I'm an informed adult and I'll take my chances - safer than crossing a busy road, really.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:43 AM
Cerino Velmonday

Well I must chime in and repeat what everyone else has said. Long long flight! That said once your there Bangkok is paradise. I suggest you ride a Tuk Tuk at least once and beware of the little green peppers used to spice up traditional Thai meals. It rained off and on while I was there, but honestly speaking the tour package kept us busy going to museums, shopping malls, restuarants and shows which were in doors. It never rained more then an hour or two for a couple of days during my 2 weeks there. Just plan to take your shoes off alot, many places don't allow you to wear them inside.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:12 AM
ariela

I'm back recently from a 2 week trip - Thailand and Hong Kong. 3 days in Hong Kong were perfect, then 10 days in Thailand was just enough for Bangkok, Krabi area beach and Chiang Mai. I would have been happy with just Bangkok (maybe a day trip from there to Ayuthaya) and the beaches. Don't move from town to town quickly if you don't have too, you'll regret it!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:31 AM
Elaine

My husband and I did a similar tour of the same 4 destinations for our first Far East trip some years ago and I have to agree about the amount of time spent on planes. When we got home, we counted up a total of 44 take-offs and landings in 18 days! Bangkok was our least favourite stop, but that could just be because it was the last place we visited and we were getting tired of trekking around by then. Hong Kong was our favourite place and we've been back twice since that first trip and hope to return again. A few days' relaxation on a beach is definitely advisable if you're planning to visit 3 cities, but I wouldn't go all the way to Bali for that - try and choose somewhere closer to one of the other places you're visiting.