Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visiting SE ASIA for 2 1/2 weeks - what all to do besides Singapore?

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, we're visiting Singapore (arriving 08/08 - leaving again 25/08), and in the meantime would like to visit other places. First thought about going to Kuala Lumpur, then take plane to Hong Kong or maybe Bang Kok. I read August is not a good time to visit HK though. There seems to be a lot to see in Malaysia too, on other hand what about Bali? (like mainly cultural stuff like visiting temples etc but also like nature) Thanks for any input, so we can create a good itinerary.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM

You have an incredible number of options. I wouldn't opt for KL, personally. Bali is lovely, Bangkok is my favorite city in the world. If you are interested in wildlife, consider Malaysian Borneo (Sabah and Sarawak). Also consider Georgetown Penang in Malaysia for historic interest.

Your question is so broad - you are going to have to do some research and come up with ideas.

If you click on my name, you'll see a list of my trip reports, which may be helpful to you. Also, you are welcome to look at our photos os many places in SE Asia, www.marlandc.com
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Kathie has given you good advice. It's virtually impossible to answer your question since it is so broad.

KL is not a city I would bother visiting, although this is the easiest major city to visit from Singapore. In addition to the places in Malaysia Kathie mentions, consider Malacca which is easy to get to from Singapore.

August in HK can be hot and humid, it's also typhoon season in HK. However, the weather in Singapore and Bangkok will be the same. Not 100% sure about Bali's weather in August.

Hong Kong, Bali and Bangkok are all worth visiting, you really need to read about the destinations and see what appeals to you. Also, check flight schedules and prices, this will help you determine which places are most feasible to visit.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks for the replies so far. Well, the holiday destination has popped up only recently. And since it's the first time to SE Asia, it's all a bit confusing, so much choice! ;o) But I'll surely read more stuff.
I've been reading about Bali, and though it looks very interesting, the travel advisories are generally negative due to tourist/terror attacks. Bangkok I'd love to visit, but since the latest troubles I don't know whether it's really a good idea.
I read one can take a train from Singapore via KL to Bangkok. Has anyone taken this route lately?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Thailand!
Gotta get the street food. Good for the frugal traveler!

I made my experience authentic via recommendation of Julia Dimon. She's my go-to traveler. I've met her a couple of times and she's definitely reliable for tips and advice.

Here's a video on Thailand:
http://bit.ly/9kr1Sq

Have fun on your trip!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 03:46 PM

august is high season in bali so a great time to visit as the weather will be at its best....

penang is a wonderful places for a few days as well...georgetown is an easy city/town to visit...

singapore itself is worth 3-5 days imo

air asia and tiger air both fly cheaply to other places from sin. including malaysia and bangkok
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi all! Thx for your messages. After looking up several things (like you all advised..) we decided to start as planned in singapore, take a couple of days there.. then head to KL (via train) for about two days (would like to see the Batu caves), then from there for several days off to Penang-Georgetown and then a couple of days to Langkawi. I'm not sure yet though how many days to take for each of those places.. Anyone an idea?
For transportation, saw that flights are really cheap, so maybe best to take planes? (KL->Penang->Langkawi->Singapore)
Anyone knows whether Melaka is worth staying for 1 or 2 days? Thx!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:43 AM

i stayed in melaka for 3 days....that might be too much...

georgetown is also worth 3 full days if you drive around the island for one day...

k/l is worth one full day including a trip to petronas tower
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:33 AM

I'd say Melaka is worth a couple of days, KL is worth a couple of days. Georgetown, Penang is worth more time - we spent 5 full days (and didn't go outside of Georgetown) - but I'd say at least three days. Langkawi is beach, not really much else there, so I expect you know how much time you can spend at a beach without getting bored.

If you want to make a stop in Melaka, take the bus from Singapore to Melaka, then from Melaka to KL. Fly to Penang, boat to Langkawai, fly back to Singapore.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks all for your valuable input! The trip is arranged..
Singapore->KL->Penang->Langkawi->Singapore
At all places we stay roughly the same time, should give enough time to see everything!
Only thing which still needs to be done is the flights. Anyone an idea whether best to book now (AirAsia) or can we wait till we're in Malaysia and then just to the bookings locally?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM

i would book now to avoid full planes
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:35 AM

And the earlier you book with Air Asia, the lower the ticket prices.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks rhkkmk and Kathie, will do it asap!