Reload this Page >

Bangkok Shopping Tips for Tess

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:05 PM
John G

Tess, one of the best places for shopping in Bangkok is Jim Thompson. There is a small shop inside the Oriental Hotel, but the main store is in downtown Bangkok. The store has incredible items, mostly made of silk. I bought two silk elephants in a chinoiserie pattern, which now adorn my living room sofa.<BR>You can also purchases robes, shirts, ties, scarves, ties, throw pillows, and all sorts of change purses and makeup bags. The prices aren't cheap, but they are a far cry from what you would pay for similar items at Saks.<BR><BR>There are also other boutiques at the Oriental that sell stunning jewelry, velvet slippers, carpets, and items with the Oriental Hotel logo. Everything here is jaw-dropping gorgeous. I was terrified for my credit card!<BR><BR>If you take the Skytrain to Siam Square, you can shop 'til you drop at the Siam Square Mall. My mother and I found a store on the ground floor near Au Bon Pain that sold handmade soap in mint, lime, lavanda, and rosemary. This store also sells drawstring pants in silk with peasant tops to match. (I think the store was called LOTUS.)<BR><BR>Another place to find cheap souvenirs is Chinatown. If you go down the sois, you will find little shops that sell silk purses, t-shirts, hats, fake Louis Vuitton, etc. The stuff here is dirt cheap, nothing costing more than $5.<BR><BR>If you want expensive antiques, I would recommend either River City or the streets between the Oriental Hotel and the Shangri-La. I saw one shop near the hotels that had museum-quality pieces on display.<BR><BR>Anything else you want to know, Tess?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Alison

As far as shopping in Bangkok, I have had the best luck at a place called Narayana Phand Handicraft Store. It is on Ramadamri Road across the street from the World Trade Center (Big shopping mall with Sogo and Isetan, I think those are the stores). This is a government run handicraft store on the top three floors and the basement is full on stalls where you can bargain like crazy. We had fabulous luck in the basement stalls. There is also a place to get very cheap Thai massages there ($5 an hour). Nearby is also Siam Square mentioned by John G. The weekend market is also a great place to shop. My kind of shopping is different from John G.'s. I'm more interested in local crafts, etc. There is something for everyone in Bangkok.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:36 AM
John G

Alison, that is too funny because my guide, Chakritt, recommended Narayana Phand for handicraft shopping. He even gave us discount coupons for the store. Now that you tell how fabu it was, I am disappointed that we did not visit. We were going to go, but we were so tired after the Siam Square Mall (and the heat, humidity, and exhaust fumes) and searching for the Hard Rock Cafe to buy a t-shirt for my nephew, Brandon.<BR><BR>We didn't really search for handicraft items in Bangkok because we knew we would be shopping at Chantiers Ecoles in Cambodia. You see, I wanted a Buddha and you can't export a Buddha from Thailand without a license. (It was so easy in Cambodia, the license coming with your purchase.)<BR><BR>We did, however, visit a gem dealership that had beautiful crocodile items, silk scarves, and small handicrafts, like those temples bells you see all over Thailand. (We bought two.) It was here that my mother, Linda, purchased fantastic sapphire earrings at a fraction of the cost in the US.<BR><BR>We also found some handicrafts in a little store inside the Wat Po. I bought a cute little puppet with golden headress for only a few dollars. <BR><BR>The one thing I could not find, however, was one of those red and black lacquered parasols. I was desperate for one for my friend, who wanted it for her foyer. Oh, well. I told her you can't have everything.<BR><BR>Can I ask, Alison, what kind of handicrafts you bought at Narayana P??<BR><BR>Later.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Alison

I have actually been there twice now and the first time around, I bought two wonderful painted wooden elephant puppets. Sounds strange, but I have a thing for elephants. This time, I bought a beautiful wooden smaller version of a wat or spirit house that I will decorate up like a spirit house in my own home. A lot of wood carved things, lots of celedon and china, lots of silk, leather bags and traditional woven materials. We were very drawn to the wooden platters and bowls. On my first trip to Thailand, I also went to Chang-Mai which has the best shopping for all that stuff. If you have a chance, go there next time. Have not been to Siem Reap, but have been reading your travelogue, it sounds great.<BR><BR>Cheers!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Tess

THANKS John G ! I'm still in the research mode for my first Asia trip (China? Thailand? Vietnam?). I appreciate your detailed info.<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:35 AM
hmmmm

I thought you were rabidly anti-fake designer items John G...

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:22 PM
jorge

Oh boy... people sure do love spending tons for crap the can find anywhere.. the Robisons department stores have most of these Items for less and if you go too the CHATA---- something weekend market you can find the Itams at a quarter of the cost..

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:53 AM
Anna

If you're in Bangkok on a weekend, be sure to go to the weekend market. We purchased items there for way less than we found them elsewhere. The posted prices on some things were less than we had negotiated at other markets. The only thing we didn't see much of at the weekend market was fake watches.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:39 AM
Nicolle

The shopping center opposite the world trade center is FAB, I also call it the underground markets. The little stalls sell really cheap stuff in air-condition and minus the crowds, especially good for silver jewelry.<BR>Another super market that will blow you away is the MBK center, it is not too far from World trade center (a cab ride away) and is basically the local's shopping center, It is air conditioned and absolutely huge. The quality of good are much better than the street markets and there is a food hall with traditional and fast food. There are clean toilets and the prices are still good. You always have to barter and having a sense of humor and smile will get you a cheaper buy. My husband loved the electrical floor where there is a whole floor dedicated to all the little gadgets and electrical things that are hard to find back home. The MBK center is also below the Pathwan Princes hotel in Bangkok.<BR>Bangkok is a great place but don't get caught up in all the shopping, there are some wonderful sights around the city if you are willing to explore.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:41 AM
Nicolle

Does anyone know any good tailors in BKK? I am going in October and would like to get some work suits done.<BR> Or any that come highly recommended. I need names and numbers or address please.<BR>