Search

Bangkok - Royal Orchid Sheraton VS Marriott Resorrt and Spa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok - Royal Orchid Sheraton VS Marriott Resorrt and Spa

We will be in BKK in October.
So far I have a reservation at Royal Orchid Sheraton, rivierview room (not Tower).
Reading Bob's report, I checked prices with Marriott and the offer deluxe revierview room for $20 less. Both hotels include American Breakfast.
Now I am thinking - should I switch to Marriott? I think Marriott has better rooms, but ROS has good location next to the mall. I only have 2 nights in BKK and then going on Manohra cruise for 2 nights and spend last night in BKK again (arriving from cruise at 6pm). I need to be closer to easy shopping, taylors and good restaurants. I do not want to take transportation for shopping. Hoped to do my BKK shopiing at Sheraton. How far are they?

Thanks for advice. Sophia
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:48 AM

I have not stayed at the Marriott, but we stayed at the ROS just last month. The mall next door has mostly antique stores, but there is at least one tailor shop that I noticed. If you want more shopping options, you need to go downtown. The ROS has a complimentary shuttle every hour to the skytrain that you can take to get downtown for 20 or 40 baht (I forget which). Unless you really want to stay on the river, you might look into staying downtown if shopping is your priority.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

No, shopping is not my first priority, romantic stay on the river is. Before Bangkok, we will shop in Hong Kong and then in Chiang Mai. In BKK will have private guide to take us to sites. I just wanted to have some stores nearby in walking distance. So if not shopping, how do these two resorts compare? Which one is nicer? Riverview standard room at ROS vs Deluxe Riverview at Marriott? I see Marriott somehow isolated from ROS and Oriental hotel where nice restaurants are?
thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:17 AM

You'll find a lot of tour groups at Sharaton but it's a terrific location.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:40 AM

i know you didn't ask me but i will answer anyways...the sheraton is not a resort...it is just a city hi rise hotel with 2 pools...there is, imo ,no comparison between the hotels...marriott is far nicer...i think the rooms may be slightly nicer at the marriott as they have all just been redone...the sheraton rooms are fine and are being redone now...we got driven out on our last day because of the smell of toxic fumes from the renovations going on in the hotel--sheraton..unacceptable in my opinion...

the mall next to the sheraton is good...it is antiques on the top two floors and on the lower 2 floors there are a variety of shops, mostly tailor shops however...there are a couple of kids shops and some general touristy shops however...the shops at the marriott are limited...the marriott is away from the shopping areas but i do not see that as a problem for its other amenities make up for the 15 minute boat ride which we really like...

no hotel you stay in will provide you with the range of shopping you seem to want...for almost anything in bkk you have to travel...the hotel gift shops are nice enough but very expensive generally and limited in scope
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:50 AM

This is to the above poster. When were you in BK and do you know when the renovations at the Royal Sheraton will be completed? Was there a lot of noise due to the renovations? If so, maybe I should switch hotels for next month's trip and go back to the Four Seasons. I've planned two days at the Royal Orchid because I like the antiques mall next door. I'm one for changing hotels and staying in different hotels in different parts of town during the same week long stay so maybe I'd better replan my hotels again if the Royal Sheraton is going to be a problem...no wonder the price is 50% off of what it was the last time I was in BK...Dec 2002. Happy travels!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Bob,
I do appreciate your reply! Ok, so I see that Marriott is more a resort and Sheraton is a high rise hotel. Did you like service at marriott? There were reports on Sheraton as receiption was not friendly. I see from yourreport that you do have taylor at Marriott. However at this point I am not sure, I might get taylor in Hong kong prior coming to BKK. Another question is - what is nearby from Marriott - nice restaurants?
Here is my schedule in BKK:

1st day - arriving 1pm from Chiang Mai
2nd day - full day touring with private guide. - relax in the evening.
3rd day - leaving for 10am Manohra cruise
2 days Manohra,
returning 6th day 6pm and next day flying early.
As you can see, I will be doing my shopping in Hong Kong and Chiang mai before, so I just need a bit of souvenirs from BKK.
Re: spa - mandara spa in both.

What about restaurants in walking distance?

thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:42 AM

I always say at the Royal Orchid. I do stay in the Towers, so I have no doubt that I get better service than someone staying in the regular rooms. I'm sure Bob also gets better service at the Marriott because he has stayed there many times.

All the rooms at ther Royal Orchid have full river views. The location is more convenient as it is closer in to nicer restaurants and next door to River City. I really like the location of the Royal Orchid, though some people like to be farther away at the Marriott. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance, (such as Harmonique) or you can take the boat to the Oriental to eat there. Also, the Royal Orchid has several superb restaurants. The Mandara spa there is newer than the one at the Marriott, and is really lovely.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Bob- do the rooms at the Marriott give you a true river view- I had read somewhere that the views are obscured and you only get a partial view. Is that true?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Guenmai - I was just at the ROS last month and didn't even know there were renovations going on. I didn't hear any construction noise and didn't see any construction crews. I was in the Towers, however, so it might be going on in the other section.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM

I think either will do fine. We always stay at the ROS and love it, but Bob (rhkkmk) has glowing things to say about the Marriott. The ROS is more convenient, but not as resortish. I would use these factors to decide which fits your needs/wants. Plus, if you don't like what you picked, there will be ample Fodorites to blame. Good Luck.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM

One other thing to consider is that the Marriott rooms have balconies, while those at the Sheraton don't. For many people that makes no difference, but to some it might -- up to you.

I loved the shopping at River City next to the Sheraton.

It's a tough choice! Since your stay is being split up by the 2 nights on the Manohra anyway, maybe split your stay between both places and let us know how they compared.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:48 PM
SD3

I stayed at the ROS in March. It has a great location and the rooms are very comfortable - certainly had no complaints about the room or the facilities (though there is no Thai ambiance if that is important to you). All rooms have a river view - the first room I was in had a fantastic view and the second, very nice but not so spectacular - it's luck of the draw.

We were kept awake for 2 hours one night by some kind of hammering/ construction noise(around 4am) and the front desk staff didn't seem to care when I mentioned it. This only happened one of four nights so I don't know if it's a problem. Service (for non-Towers guests) is fine but not particularly warm or accommodating. It depends what's important to you on this stay.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I know it is tough to choose
Last night after Manohra cruise - the barge actually arrives to Marriott, 6pm and then we have only evening. Next morning we fly 8:00 home .
I do not know. Maybe I will stay first 2 nights in ROS, then take cruise and last night since Manohra arrives to Marriott, stay at marriott. But if we will not like ROS and like Mariott then I will be kicking myself.
Looking at Marriott, they have good restaurants. I only need 2 dinners, since during the day we will be touring and eating lunches in other places.
Marriott's restaurants look nice.
Bob - have you eaten in other Mariott's restaurants except pastry place?
http://www.marriottdining.com/restaurant/res01.php
Trader Vics, and The Rice Mill. I do not care for Benihana...

So.. Mariott has balconies and Thai archtiecture, better rooms, and they have free shuttle to ROS .. and it less $20. So this looks like a winner.
Sophia
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Also, why on most websites Marriott has 4* and Sheraton 5*?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Thanks Richard for your reply. I guess I'll keep my reservation at the Royal Orchid although I won't be in the Towers. I'll only stay there for two nights anyway and then I'm transferring back to the Four Seasons and then on to the Metropolitan. Happy travels!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM

the room we had at the sheraton had a full river view down river---it was a suite however..

at the marriott some of the rooms are just above the river---the rooms at the end of the two side buildings...the other rooms look at the river through the trees, so in fairness it is not a true river view...the marriott is no a hi-rise either (6 floors at most) so that makes a difference...

i have eaten at all the marriott restaurants...they are all good, but other than the chinese one are not any different than what we would get at home in usa...the terrace restaurant has large buffets, some with theses and floor shows which is different...we do not like buffets however...

there is nothing to do or see or eat at in the vicinity of the marriott that i know of...

the manora starts and finishes at the marriott if you didn't know...they let us keep our room at the marriott while we were on the manora...no charge...
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

My agent in Bangkok replied this am on my questions in difference:

" But for 11 restaurants I think they include the local restaurants in their small complex in front of the hotel too. (In front of the hotel, there is a small complex u can find several fast food e.g.MacDonald/Pizza Hut/Shops that local people also visiting). I wd say it's up to your decision. I saw the Marriott and feel it is like a resort style hotel, low-rised and rather quiet. Some do not like it as always need shuttle boat to go to town or always suffering by traffic jam to go across river to town. However, if u have a certain program to go out and some free time to enjoy the pool, it is a worthy property. In front of the hotel, there is a small complex u can find several fast food/shops that local people also visiting. With the shuttle boat to Taksin pier nowadays, u can enjoy the BKK Sky Train to downtown (Silom, Siam Square, Erawan Shrine) or Sukhumvit area (Emporium,
etc) within 30 min.
".

Still thinking!
Bob, I will look at your pictures, hope you have Mariott pictures there to help me decide.

Sophia
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:55 AM

sophia--there are not many interior marriott pictures...most on the group that starts with the bed...

there was no noise at the sheraton at all...just that smell of fumes and it got so bad we had to leave the hotel on the last day early.....we had to hold our breath in the room....that may all now be over...one other person experienced the same thing about a year ago...so it must be an on-going renovation...thais are very lax about such things...

there are about 6 restaurants in the marriott...

service--that is always a subjective thing... at the marriott every worker that you pass looks at you, in the eye, and speaks to you...we did not find that at the sheraton...there was not nearly as much staff there...on your floor the people spoke to you but not necessarily in other parts of the hotel..the room service people were all very friendly and helpful,as were the bell staff...
my wife says i am looking for reasons not to like the sheraton and she is right as usual...we would not stay there again unless it was very cheap...it was not bad and is perfectly adequate, but there are better places...our suite was just an ordinary experience as you would expect from any 4* hotel...it was typical and not thai at all...
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:56 AM

sophia-=--why don't you stay at the peninsula...it is by far the best on the river, although some like the oriental as well...??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -